Skip to main content
Topic: My cars got a 5.0 in it!! (Read 2562 times) previous topic - next topic

My cars got a 5.0 in it!!

WOOT!

heres the engine and tranny

now i just need to hook em up  :grinno:  :grinno:  :grinno:
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Re: My cars got a 5.0 in it!!

Reply #1
o btw if you are dropping a motor and tranny in your car its best to remove your bumper before you get the engine into the bay, otherwise you get pissed off bc your hoist won't reach far enough to drop the thing in! i also highly recommend the efi lift plate from summit, engine slid in like a glove and bumped zero surfaces!

Reply #2
very nice dude
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
Getting ready for next Halloween or something..? :D

(everything seems so gray or black these days.. I almost feel odd about wanting to go with good old Ford blue. Nice to see something a little different)

Reply #4
now for those of you who might be thinking "why did he paint that engine chevy orange?" it's actually thunderbird red so it ties in perfectly with my 87 thunderbird ;P

also red makes it go faster :giggle:

Reply #5
Now that you mention it, everything else in the picture that looks like it should be red is looking a little more orange. Color a wee bit off there? :D

Reply #6
Perhaps the white balance is off on the camera.

Anyway... nice setup, veddy nice.  Is it just a stock HO?  Something more?  Give us some specs.  It makes me hate my SO CFI more and more every day.

Reply #7
Since this swap has already cost so much money  :shakehead the engine is just stock with a trickflow cam for later mods. The tranny has a b&m 2100 lock up converter and transgo shift kit, and the rear end is out of a tc with 3.55's. All in all with the performance pulleys(and elimination of the smog pump), a free flowing exhaust, the turbocoupe rear, the shift kit, and the trickflow cam i think it will be plenty quick for a 17 year old, definantly an improvement over the 3.8 that was there. But before I put any more performance parts on i think i'm going to upgrade my brakes to 11 inch and get the strut tower brace for the front and rear. Hell i still have to buy new springs and struts for up front!(front end is kinda up in the air now with the tc springs out back)After i do that its off to the body shop and time for paint! Engine mods will come, all in due time....its a start though isn't it?

Reply #8
Good luck with all of those new wires  :wtf:
got any pictures of the out side?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Yeah you'll be happy with it for about a month, then you'll want more. You'll always want more lol, I would suggest that you pull the intake off and use silicone across the front and back instead of the gasket, that's always held up for me, the gaskets haven't

Reply #10
Man that looks great!

Did you silver paint the steering pump brackets & intake too or are they new?

Did you spray the engine when it was together, or when it was in pieces?

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #11
On my Grand Marquis, the gasket kit I used had some gnarly rubber gaskets that actually wrap down around the block.  I'm gonna give them a try as they'll probably work better than silicone or a silly cork gasket.

Reply #12
Bondocougar, the engine was painted with everything off except the lower intake, which was later removed and painted alminum as you see here. The engine was simply wirebrushed then sprayed with two coats of duplicolor primer, three coats of ford red, and two coats of clear. Now if you plan to use the clear be prepared see your motor turn pinkish (if you paint it red) when you spray the clear over the red, it dries fine though so don't panic and just keep on spraying. The power steering bracket, as well as all of the other engine accessorie brackets were painted with alminum dupilicolor engine paint then cleared, but only after hours upon hours upon hours of prep. I highly recommend against using a heavy steel wire wheel, or those synthetic 3m rust remover pads(these will only cause deep scratch marks in the soft alminum which will then require alot of massaging to get out), a brass wire wheel on a drill was used to remove most of the oxidized aluminum but could not get into the tight spaces. The best tool used were the dremel 511 finishing abrasive buffs, but they cost 2.66 a pair at lowes and walmart and last for about 10 minutes only :( but they kick ass and get get into just about any spot, be prepared to buy a hundred or so though.

Tony

Reply #13
nice,, :)

now go lay that fire putter outer down on its side :brick:

they are a hazard just standing up,,,missle hazard

Reply #14
jcassity = Fire Marshall Bill!