Skip to main content
Topic: The Other Fox Birds/Cougars (Read 1323 times) previous topic - next topic

The Other Fox Birds/Cougars

I'm in a chatty mood tonight, I guess.  Are there still some 80-82 T-Bird/Cougar drivers out there, or even the `gulp` [Fairmont] Cougars?  I don't ever recall any discussions about them.  I mean, they technically still fit in the group, right?  Some were so plain-looking they were almost cool.

I once bought an 86 LTD wagon (Fox-body) for $50 at an auction.  Motor was blown up, but car didn't have a scratch on it and interior looked brand new.  Again, so dorky it was kinda cool.  Paid a guy with a tow truck another 50 bucks to pull it home.  Had a clear title.  Not sure what I was gonna do with it, but for 100 bucks, why not.  Never did anything with it, then sold it some time later to a guy who wanted to build a hot rod out of it.  Later on I saw a similar car on eBay where somebody put a Fox Mustang doghouse on it which looked like it was made by Ford that way.  Had the Mustang turbine wheels on it and all, and I'm sure the Mustang drivetrain.  Wagons can be cool.

Reply #1
back in my high school days, my old man bought my sister a 1978 Fairmont, old lady car with like 40,00 miles on it.  the sun had taken all the paint off of it from the door handles up, so i scuffed and sprayed it in high school chop class, i rebuilt the straight six, and handed it to my sister for her 16th birthday.

she didnt take my parents warning that night, and instead of takingthe pavement home from her boyfriends, she took the icy gravel shortcut road, and put the car sky high into a field, where it barrel rolled 6 times.  I guess "barrel Roll" isnt the right way of saying it.  the left front corner, and the right front corner hit the ground, 6 times, but the roof was untouched.  She walked out of that car without a scratch. 

I thank Ford that they made such a durable car, to save my baby sister's life.

Reply #2
I have had a few box-foxes:

1985 Marquis
1985 LTD LX
1984 LTD
1978 Fairont Futura
1986 LTD Wagon
1980 Thunderbird

That's all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #3
My high school car in the late 80's was a 81 Cougar XR7,  50k miles and a ton of hail damage to sheetmetal.  Got it for $1500.  Drove it for about 5 yrs and sold it for $500.  The guy totaled it the first night, got drunk and ran into the back of a parked dump truck.  What a dummy, he was.  I just should have kept it, but I bought a 85 LS with 5.0, and I liked it better.  85 had vent windows too.
Mike