Skip to main content
Topic: A few upgrades: 5/20/13 Pics outside the garage! (Read 43001 times) previous topic - next topic

A few upgrades: 5/20/13 Pics outside the garage!

Reply #15
Quote from: 50tbrd88;386042
I look forward to seeing you (again) and your upgrades in person this year at power tour!  Your upgrades have me drooling.

The crush is on to get it ready!

Reply #16
When is the power tour?

Those heads look nice.

Travis

Reply #17
Power Tour is 1st full week in June.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #18
Some shots of the intake.  An RPMII with a lower ported to match the heads.

Reply #19
Some assembly:

Reply #20
I've spent a bit of time mocking up and fitting the supercharger, headers and dip stick tube.  It's taken a few weeks at two to three hours a day to get things clearanced, modified, fabricated.

To fill in what all the combination is:

310 CI A4 Block
Ported 192 Canfield heads
Ported RPMII intake
Kooks 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8
D1B Procharger  Crank Pulley is 7.65 and Blower Pulley is 3.55.  The blower ratio is 4.44, this puts the max impeller speed at just over 6,500.  They are 12 rib pulleys.  The blower pulley has been treated to a Carbinite process it help the belt grip
Custom camshaft w/214.5 @.50 on intake, 230 @50 exhaust, .600 lift on a 114 LSA

Reply #21
You'll notice how far the supercharger hangs off the side of the engine.  The belt is 10" longer than the P600b which was on the car, meaning this unit is 5" farther outboard. 

The bracket which hold the S/C attaches to the A/C bracket and flexes quite a bit when the belt is tensioned, creating alignment issues which has the potential to throw the belt or it to slip.  To provide added stiffness, I fabricated a bracket out of 2" angle iron, some threaded rod and a couple hiem joints. 

This allows the belt to be cinched down and keep the head unit parallel to the crank pulley.  It took a bit of playing with to find the right amount of preload on the bracket and shims on the pulley.

Reply #22
On to the next phase.  Parts that no one gets to see once it's all together.

Reply #23
Time to start fitting the engine.

Reply #24
Fab looks good. I have no experience with a combo like this, but it sounds like you are doing it right. It oughta go like stink!

Reply #25
Quote from: flylear45;387014
Fab looks good. I have no experience with a combo like this, but it sounds like you are doing it right. It oughta go like stink!

Turbo builds are not all that different conceptually from a supercharged set up.  They each have their own vernacular on specifics though.

Thanks on the fab work!  It took a little tinkering.  I was happy by what could be accomplished with a little angle iron, sawzall, grinder and a drill.  Welding is a skill I need to acquire (hense a bolt on supercharger, rather than fabricating turbo plumbing).

Trying to make sure I have all the bases covered to ensure this build will have longevity as well as "go like stink"!  A clutch upgrade was needed with the previous combo (a King Cobra clutch does not handle powershifts well at 450+ lbs of torque with sticky tires).  The dual disc may seem a bit exotic, but needed with the antited power increase.  The Quick Time bell; a prudent addition, should there be a failure.

After the engine is in, the fuel system gets upgraded and supplemented with an Alkycontrols Meth system.

Reply #26
Looking good fellow Michigander.....

I had a set back with my rebuilt 351w I discovered on Saturday.  Number 3 had water in it, removed lots of metal.  Need to disassemble to the bare short block and have it sleeved along with new rings.

Travis

Reply #27
Quote from: turbotrav;387067
Looking good fellow Michigander.....

I had a set back with my rebuilt 351w I discovered on Saturday.  Number 3 had water in it, removed lots of metal.  Need to disassemble to the bare short block and have it sleeved along with new rings.

Travis

Ouch!

Reply #28
:bowdown:

someday
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #29
Looking good!  Is this thing going to be ready to hit the strip at Gateway in Madison, IL during the Power Tour?  I'd love to watch you make a few runs with it. 

Anyone else joining you on the tour again this year?  Hopefully I will get the chance to run into you again!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube