Skip to main content
Topic: A few upgrades: 5/20/13 Pics outside the garage! (Read 43004 times) previous topic - next topic

A few upgrades: 5/20/13 Pics outside the garage!

I've been working on a few upgrades.  May have tried to take the elephant all in one bite.

This is what it looks like at the moment.  A few things have been swapped out but it's missing quite a few more.

The push is on to be back on the road by the Power Tour.

Reply #1
You definitely have quite a list, wish you were closer!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #2
Quote from: gumby;385766
You definitely have quite a list, wish you were closer!

We're on the same page there!

Here's a couple shots of the easy stuff that's done.  Still have to sort out the e-brake sytem and cables though.  I suspect that particular project will wait while bigger fish are fried.

Reply #3
Looking good fellow MI guy....  I would assume that you go to Milan....

Have you ever made it to the Mid Michigan Motorplex.

Travis

Reply #4
Quote from: turbotrav;385792
Looking good fellow MI guy....  I would assume that you go to Milan....

Have you ever made it to the Mid Michigan Motorplex.

Travis

Travis,

No, haven't made it there.  I've heard nothing but good things about the track in Stanton, but Milan is incredibly convenient for me. 

By odd coincidence, I am within two hours of some really great Drag Strips.  US 131 Mootorsports Park outside of Kalamazoo, Mid Michigan Motorplex outside of Stanton MI and Summit Motorsports Park outside of Norwalk Ohio.  Put Milan in at only 20 miles out (from my house) and it could develop into a pretty nice Drag Week scenario.

Being in Michigan; something to make sure is on your calendar is the Power Tour.  It starts in Milford at the GM Providing Grounds and then heads to Muskegon.  Both are an easy road trips from Mt. Pleasant and they're on the weekend.

I'll be continuing to thrash to get the Thundbird up and going for it, but should there be a snag, I do have a back up plan.  So one way or another, I'll be there.

Mark

Reply #5
The suspension upgrades include: Tokiko 5 way adjustable shocks & struts, tubular front control arms, MM coil over conversion, Baer Track Kit 13" fronts and 12" rear brakes.

The item below is an A4 block .60 over w/3" forged crank, h-beams and probe dished pistons.

Reply #6
that is 1 very interesting grill! i've never seen anything like it.. not sure if i love it or hate it lol very unique
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #7
Looking really good! Keep us updated.

Reply #8
Quote from: Shadow;385982
that is 1 very interesting grill! i've never seen anything like it.. not sure if i love it or hate it lol very unique

There are times I vasillate between how much I like it! 

The combination of the Turbo Coupe hood and the lowered stance makes the appearance in person more pleasing.  The grill causes the scoops to look like like exaggerated notrils, giving it a sort of mean look.  Open the hood and the effect disappears.

The unit is a pretty rare Ford Motorsport part.  They cost $250 new in the mid 80's, a pretty steep price in those days.  There are two versions.  This one is an 83/84, the 85/86 has an asymmetrical cross bar. 

They will surface occationally on the board, ebay or swap meets.  Condition is pretty critical, they're urathane and pr0ne to cracks.  They can be restored, but it's pricey.

To help it look more complete or finished, I'll be adding black to the Thunderbird emblem in the center, it needs something there...

Mark

Reply #9
Hopefully the new block stays in one piece ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
Quote from: thunderjet302;386024
Hopefully the new block stays in one piece ;).

Boy, I sure hope so!  I think the rotating assembly would be give way before this block.  This one has been nitrided and completely deburred (never seen a block this smooth, everywhere!).  A4's are rated at 1,200 HP from Ford, with the mods, this one could be another 300 HP, but the initial rating is overkill in this application...

Reply #11
Quote from: 86T-bird;386028
Boy, I sure hope so!  I think the rotating assembly would be give way before this block.  This one has been nitrided and completely deburred (never seen a block this smooth, everywhere!).  A4's are rated at 1,200 HP from Ford, with the mods, this one could be another 300 HP, but the initial rating is overkill in this application...

You should be fine ;). Block breakage is the reson I decided to go with a head upgrade vs. a blower on my engine. I really don't think it's a good idea to push a stock "XXX" block if I want it to live for a long time.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
Quote from: thunderjet302;386034
You should be fine ;). Block breakage is the reson I decided to go with a head upgrade vs. a blower on my engine. I really don't think it's a good idea to push a stock "XXX" block if I want it to live for a long time.

Wise choice!

To do a blower right, the supporting upgrades are considerable, but they do begin at the block.  It then goes to the trans, rear end, fuel system, brakes and tuning.

Lots of people do a XXX block initially (me included!), claiming an aftermarket unit is too expensive, but there always seems to be money and time to do it again...

Barring anything unforseen, this build should not have an Achilles heel.

Reply #13
I look forward to seeing you (again) and your upgrades in person this year at power tour!  Your upgrades have me drooling.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #14
Here are shots of the cylinder heads. 

They are Canfields 192's CNC ported, including the combustion chambers.

Flow maxes out at 305 CFM on the intake and 230 CFM on the exhaust at .700.