Skip to main content
Topic: My car...a couple of new pics. (Read 27973 times) previous topic - next topic

My car...a couple of new pics.

Reply #30
I did my MAF conversion for $40 and that includes getting wires :hick:  I got the A9P EEC, MAF intake tubes, and MAF pigtail (cut from a 91 5.0 Mustang) for free. I paid $20 for the 55mm MAF (now running a 70mm one from a 94 Mustang). You can probably get the MAF meter and tubes cheap off ebay and just go to the bone yard and cut the MAF pigtail from a MAF car. Just make sure the wire colors match a Mustang though so you know where they go. Then you can just add some length with some wire from the hardware store. The A9P is what's going to cost you $$$ though.

Looking at what you plan though you would be fine running SD untill you swap the cam or heads. Hell I ran my combo on SD for a year. It does run better with MAF but that's because of the cam. If you're sticking with the stock HO cam for awhile just run the car on SD and do the swap later when you add a cam or beter breathing heads. Plus I have a perfectly good Mark VII HO SD computer sitting here if you want it ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #32
Man you guys are a ton of help!

thunderjet302, forgive me for a lack of knowledge here but since my new motor is already set up for MAF (came from '91 T-bird) wouldn't I be better off just taking the plunge and doing the conversion?  How would I keep my SD?  Just use my original engine wiring with the new motor?  If I can keep it SD for now that might be easier and cheaper.  Hell I don't want to build it up much maybe a cam and thats about it down the road.

My problem is I work all the freaking time (especially weekends) and can never get to the boneyard to scavenge for parts.  I love junkin' it but never have time anymore.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #33
I could grab the wires from an MN-12 for you tomorrow if someone told me what wires to grab. I thought you could wire it into our harness, but i cold be wrong
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #34
Your putting this 91 in an 88 right? If so keep it SD if it is what you have. You can change it later, but it don't sound like your ready for that yet.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #35
the 91 cougars had a more mild then h.o. cam. A step better then stock but less then the mustang from what I have heard. Get an SD computer for a mustang and your pretty well set. Use a mustang h.o. intake, throttle body, egr spacer, and if you decide, MAF. Use your old timing chain cover, water pump, and front accessories. I would use the stock fuel rail for the new H.o. I'm not sure if the cougars had compatible 19# fuel injectors or not, but if they did then that would work fine.

I would get a shift kit for the tranny. It'll make the insides wear less when it shifts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #36
Those '91 injectors are fine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #37
Yep you can run any Bird/Stang/LSC HO on a '87-'88 Stang SD computer and it's totally compatible with your original wiring harness... You'll need to swap '91 engine to the '87-'88 type sensors(only if they don't have same connector as your Bird), but you'd have to do same if using mass air ...

Your original computer cannot be used with any HO engine...

Reply #38
Quote from: 50tbrd88;241980

thunderjet302, forgive me for a lack of knowledge here but since my new motor is already set up for MAF (came from '91 T-bird) wouldn't I be better off just taking the plunge and doing the conversion?  How would I keep my SD?  Just use my original engine wiring with the new motor?  If I can keep it SD for now that might be easier and cheaper.  Hell I don't want to build it up much maybe a cam and thats about it down the road.

You can't use the computer from the T-bird you got the HO from as it's a bit different than the FOX style HO computers in relation to wiring/pinning of the harness.

Now that being said all HOs are the same between SD and MAF. What I mean is the block, heads, cam ect are the same it's just the engine management that's different. To make your life easy for now just swap the timing cover, water pump, oil pan, oil pump pickup, and every sensor from the 5.0 in your car right now to the new HO engine. Drop it in, plug in a SD computer, and enjoy the HO.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #39
+1 On the ECM pinout. It's the same as a 94-95 Mustang's.

Swap on your old (Or 87-93 HO) upper intake and fuel rail too. The fuel line connections on the 91+ Thunderbird are in a different spot.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #40
sweet thanks for the info guys.  I thought I would have to convert to MAF but I may as well wait for the mods to start.  I bet you can pick up SD computers for el cheapo on ebay since everyone converts to MAF anyway. 

THANKS a ton for the info guys...

Anyone know what stock HP specs were on the HO's in the MN12 cars?  Sounds like less than a 5.0 'stang...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #41
The reason the MN-12s had a lower HP rating was because of a more restrictive exhaust and upper intake manifold. All factory HOs 88 and up are the same.

If you want a SD HO computer pm me. You can have the one I was using before I converted to MAF (which is from a 89 Mark VII) for $20.

paint!

Reply #42
The car is now at the body man's place!  I took it to him Monday and he has already made pretty good progress.  It should be all done within 2-3 weeks.  So far he has re-aligned all the body panels and has her stripped down.  It was kind of shocking to walk in and see it like this:

The bottom pic shows the quarter panel that I let roll into the garage door this summer:punchballs: .  It is the only real damage on the car.  He said other than that the car is very straight and shouldn't require any extensive work.  I have the turn signal lights and will polish them this week.  Its going to look good!  It will be going back the stock colors...just hope I get it back before the snow and salt start flying!:burnout:

Reply #43
I feel like posting some photos.

Here it is the day before I took it...

Here is the finished product after swapping for 11" Mustang brakes this summer.

Reply #44
looks good!!
I have a 5.0 HO SD comp as well
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07