Skip to main content
Topic: 408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020) (Read 109574 times) previous topic - next topic

408 stroker project (For Sale 5/2018)

Reply #285
Quote from: thundr306;447746
Way to stick with the project! It will all be worth it.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote from: V8Demon;447748
The Mustang booster and Cougarbird booster are different parts IIRC.  Got a Cougarbird one laying around?

Also, I know with the 73 mm calipers and 11" brakes the stock master makes for a mushy pedal.  This is PROBABLY your issue.

So is this what I need?

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Master-Cylinder-1993-Cobra-1-bore-new-1979-95-Mustang-P668.aspx
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #286
You'll need the conversion lines to run it as well.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #287
The MC out of an 87-93 Fox 5.0 Mustang is that same one for the 87-88 V8 Birds and Cougars and is the same one in the 4 cylinder 87-93 Fox Mustangs.  They all have a 1.187" bore size so volumetrics should not be an issue there with the MC not providing enough fluid with regards to the MC.  The 87-88 Birds and Cougars seem to have come with a 9.5" single diaphragm brake booster and the 87-93 5.0 Mustangs came with a 7.5" diameter dual diaphragm brake booster.  Being that you basically have Mustang brakes on the car now I would say that the Mustang brake booster is the proper choice but I do know the T-Bird/Cougar unit will also work just fine with the brakes you have on the car.

With that being said I would say two things need to be looked at:
1) Did you adjust the rod tip on the brake booster?  If not go here and it will give you the basics on how to do this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrFEzfDnzqM.  If you go to far the brakes will drag which will require you to back the adjustment off.
2) With a pedal that travels to the floor and is slow to return I am going to say that you have a bad MC as it sounds like fluid is passing around the piston.

The brakes you have on the car do not require the Cobra 1" bore MC so why go through the hassle if you do not need to.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #288
Thanks for the reply Darren I'll check out the rod.  Eventually I'll be upgrading the brakes all around but not anytime soon.  Just looking to get the basics done and get the car streetable right now
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #289
My 86 had terrible breaks even though it passed the skidpad test. I couldn't get any fluid to the rear drums when i found and replaced leaky brake cylinder. The new master fixed everything, including blowing out the other rear brake cylinder.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #290
Just watch your brake bias and hydraulics.  If it were me I would not install the Cobra MC until you decide to move up to brakes like the stock SN95 Mustang GT or Cobra setups.  The way you are describing the pedal feel and the slow return it just screams a bad MC to me.

Darren

Reply #291
Quote from: Aerocoupe;447807
Just watch your brake bias and hydraulics.  If it were me I would not install the Cobra MC until you decide to move up to brakes like the stock SN95 Mustang GT or Cobra setups.  The way you are describing the pedal feel and the slow return it just screams a bad MC to me.

Darren

Maybe I'll just get a stock one than,  I can get a new cardone master for $45 at advance... I thought they were both around the same price so going with the upgrade master made better sense but with shipping and the conversion kit the cobra is about $100 more plus more labor.

**EDIT**

I just ordered a stock one.. $41 amazon.. prime shipping too, so I'll have it Saturday.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #292
I did put a brand new stock master cylinder in and the brakes feel exactly the same.  So that makes three different master cylinders,  same condition.  It stops okay, but brake pedal is slow to return to normal position.  I bleed the  out of everything.  I think it just might be me and I'm use to how my old tbird felt with the turbo coupe disc rear and how that pedal felt versus the drum rear I have now. 

So how well priced is this 5lug / SN95 brake kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOX-FORD-MUSTANG-5-LUG-FRONT-REAR-DISC-BRAKE-CONVERSION-KIT-94-95-SPINDLES-/121159103270?hash=item1c35a53326&vxp=mtr
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #293
Total rip off. Complete 8.8 out of a GT car is usually about $250 to $400 and you can get the complete front setup spindles out for $125 to $200 from most salvage / recycle yards.

Darren

Reply #294
Agreed, for that kind of money it better be cobra brakes all around
Look around on Craig's list, I always see people parting out sn95s
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #295
ok thanks guys.. Stay away from 99-04 rears? right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #296
Yea those will be too wide
94-98 v8 rear ends are what you want
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #297
Ok thanks guys,  I got a ton of yards around here.  I'm gonna hit them this weekend
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #298
It's been a couple months,  things been moving this week.  Getting windshield installed Wednesday by safelite ($208 on site),  got some new tires today in the mail, getting alignment and inspection done next weekend.  Ordered wideband O2 tonight to finish up tune with willie @dirtydirtyracing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #299
Brakes are fixed!  It was the brake booster giving the spongy pedal and slow return of the pedal when pressing it.  Put a new booster in today and it's perfect no more pedal issues.  I got the windshield done, tires are mounted to the rims just have to drop them off at the garage and put them on.  Might have a problem with the tailpipe on passenger side and the wider tires it looks close when I took off the old ones.

Next up:

-Alignment and inspection
-install the wideband O2 and gotta order the BE/EA software dongle for the quarterhorse.
-send wideband o2 data logs to willy@dirtydirtyracing to finish the tune.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]