Skip to main content
Topic: Went to the track last night(very happy) (Read 2779 times) previous topic - next topic

Went to the track last night(very happy)

:burnout: Well since my last 12.38 I replaced my k-member,a-arms,coil overs and motor mounts(All UPR of coarse) I was able to drop .2 off my 60ft and almost .4 off my E.T. I think I could of got in the 11's just didnt get enough runs maybe in a couple weeks.:burnout:sorry it came out so big they are out of order look at the time of race
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #1
NICE!!!!

That's AWESOME! Glad to see there's still some racing going on ;)

Reply #2
Nice runs!  114 MPH!  Based on your MPH, you are making plenty of power to hit the mid to high 11's.  Getting a 1.6 sixty foot or better would get your there.  It's hard to get a car like a T-Bird to launch that hard, unless drag racing is it's primary purpose.  .2's on the sixty foot is usually worth .4 in the quarter...

Reply #3
Wow!! Nice times!! I better get to the track next year - the competition is getting hot and heavy around here.

Wow, I did not realize that my 1.60 60' was that great until I started researching launching more. I just change the tires when I go to the track, though the CHE arms and MM subframes keep me going straight at launch (I actually had to look left before I got the CHE arms as the car would twist right.)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #4
sorry 1 more!
this was my last shot to get in the 11's
sorry its so hard to see but it was 12.023@115.65
The other preson I raced is a dodge durango 12.23 its pretty fast
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #5
5.0 Cougar, you have a couple advantages to get out of the hole a little harder.  The 3.27 first gear in the TKO-500 and the big low end torque from your blower.  That thing has some grunt off the line!
Thunder 347 is working with a 3000 stall converter.  To get it to hard launch would probably take a transbrake (if the tires hook).

Reply #6
Quote from: 86tbird;191550
5.0 Cougar, you have a couple advantages to get out of the hole a little harder.  The 3.27 first gear in the TKO-500 and the big low end torque from your blower.  That thing has some grunt off the line!
Thunder 347 is working with a 3000 stall converter.  To get it to hard launch would probably take a transbrake (if the tires hook).

my main problem is the "B.S. B&M 3000" stall is more like 2300 and the 3.73 gears with an AOD nos would probably help out a lot but not ready for that yet, cant wait for the 4.33:hick:
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
The Finished Product

Reply #7
Getting into the 1.8's with a stall of 2,300 is pretty good.  The 4.33 gear will certainly help get it off the line!  In my experience a transbrake is the killer for coming off the line hard and cutting great, consistent lights.  With a brake you may be able to push that converter closer to 3,500 at launch (a converters true stall will show up on the brake, the flash from idle is typically much lower).  Finding the ideal stall converter off the foot brake or flashing from idle can be illusive.  A transbrake can give you range of launch rpm which you can tailor to your car and conditions. Of course you give up some things with a brake (like automatic shifting and soft low speed shifts), but if going quick at the dragstrip is important, it's worth thinking about.

Reply #8
Quote from: 86tbird;191550

The blower hitting hard can be quite a problem off the line actually - lol. The best improvement for me was the 275 width M/T drag radials. I can hit them with a 5k clutch dump off the line without having any tire spin. This assumes that I heat them up pretty good. With BFG 235's and no line lock, I was lucky to break 2.0 60's

Reply #9
5.0 Cougar, my hats off to you getting that car to hook w/a manual trans and the low end boost!  Those M/T Drag Radials are amazing aren't they?  In my experience, they hook as well as slicks, if they're hot. I run them on a Mustang w/347 and transbrake.  It's consistent high 1.4's-1.50 sixty foots.  I had quite the learning curve w/the 5 speed in my 86 T-bird on the strip.  I just couldn't bring myself to drop the clutch (hench the 1.9 sixty foots w/the same tires).  Maybe next year I'll work up the courage...

Reply #10
If I had a grippier clutch, I think I would have already snapped off the 10 spine input shaft - lol. There's something to be said for not going overboard in the clutch department. Nice 60' times with the Mustang BTW! No matter what M/T says, I didn't get good grip 'till I got the line lock and smoked the heck out of the tires! This off-season I am installing torque-box reinforcements and a rear-end brace. I know I'm going to break something eventually - one reason I  only made it to the track once this year. The one launch I did this year felt like it came within a  of lifting the tires - too bad it uncovered the fuel-tank sock and the car died instantly!

Reply #11
I would be surprised if you didn't get a little air with a 1.6 sixty foot.  Much as I love drag racing, breaking stuff is part of the deal (at least it is for me!).  With the weight and power level you are at it's a great idea to reinforce the torque boxes and rear end.  Getting these cars to run low 12's and high 11's is a lot tougher than a Mustang w/a race weight of 3,000 lbs.  Both of you guys should be "pretty happy"!

Reply #12
Dang man, a low 12 is screamin!  That's one wicked TBird :) .  Someday I hope my car will run those kinda times....someday....

Reply #13
Thank you it has been a long hard road lol but it was all worth it
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears