Skip to main content
Topic: '83 Digital Cluster Question (Read 672 times) previous topic - next topic

'83 Digital Cluster Question

Hey all,
I have one of the possibly-rare '83 Cougars with a digital dash cluster that is my current project.  It's not driveable right now with a busted rear axle, plus I've begun the process of removing the whole radiator core support area that was mucked up in a wreck (short version, I've already removed the radiator, so I can't run the motor for long).  My actual question is, when I do crank it up or even just turn the ignition on, the digital speedo comes on (showing 0 MPH), but the digital fuel gauge flashes and shows no 'bars' of fuel.  What does that indicate?  That the tank is so low that it doesn't register, or that I have a sending/electrical issue?  I have had no need or opportunity to fill the tank since I bought the car, and have no actual idea how much it's got in it.  Does anybody have any experience with the '83/'84 digital cluster who could help me figure this out?  Thanks for the assistance.

Fordman3

'83 Digital Cluster Question

Reply #1
I have never seen a 83 digital dash, But, on the 86's when the fuel light flashes it means that it is out of gas.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com