Skip to main content
Topic: 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour (Read 7041 times) previous topic - next topic

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #15
Quote from: 50tbrd88;378565
Dang, finally got registered and all the hotel rooms booked.  I've never had so much trouble finding good/affordable rooms close to the event.  I ended up not getting a room at the Sline Inn in Muskegon (it was booked up).  I am staying at the Holiday Inn in Grand Haven-Spring Lake.

I'm hoping to leave early enough Sunday so we will have time to stop in South Bend and check out the Studebaker museum.  I've heard that its worth looking into.  We usually bust ass trying to make it to the event by taking the power tour route.  I think this year I'm going to try and find some neat things along the way to check out and not worry about getting to the venue.  That should make the trip more enjoyable.

I am looking forward to Gateway motorsports park, there will probably be some drag racing and hopefully some roundy-round track time available as well.

Spring Lake Holiday Inn is about 10 miles south of the venue, all highway and not far.  Gumby's staying in Grand Haven, and I'll be in Grand Rapids.

I've learned never to take the recommended route.  I've found that it takes at least 8 hours of drivetime and it ends up being like you discribe, "busting ass to make to the venue".  Having a stick shift and creeping through small town traffic grids with 3,000 other cars maybe fun for some, I just get worn out. 

You do miss some stuff by taking the highway, but 4 hours in the car is a lot less tiring that 8 hours.  I don't want to feel like I need a nap when I get to the venue and I want to get there before people start packing up!

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #16
Yeah it definately wears you out taking the route, but there is some beautiful scenery that you miss on the interstate.  I've found that I have more fun in the hotel parking lot than at the venue.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #17
Quote from: 50tbrd88;378618
Yeah it definately wears you out taking the route, but there is some beautiful scenery that you miss on the interstate.  I've found that I have more fun in the hotel parking lot than at the venue.

LOL! 

I've had some great times at hotels too!  A smaller group, a chance to spend a little time with people, sit down, relax and have a beer.  It's where you form relationships.  Sometimes the nights can get a little long (in a good way).

I've found if I can get to the venue early and be able to take part in whatever is at the event, than it can be great time.  However, if I roll in between 4-6 PM, I too pooped to enjoy anything.  But that still leaves the hotel parking lot.

I'll trade scenery for 1/2 the time on the road though!  It may sound a bit counter car guy and I won't qualify for the hardcore award, but it works for me!

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #18
Quote from: 86T-bird;378584
Gumby's staying in Grand Haven.

Actually I was in Grand Haven last year. I will be in Grand Rapids this year for the Muskegon stop.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #19
Thread revival.  Anyone else going this year?  I'm excited and its still a month away!  Sadly I will only be making three stops this year.  Someday I would love to do the whole week, but with a 10 mo. old at home, I better not press my luck with the wife.

I have to tune my bird up (got a new coil, plugs, wires, cap/rotor for it) and remove the new rear springs so I can cut them down a tad.  As my uncle says it has a "pine riser" look to it now (I'm not totally sure what that even means, maybe one of you old guys can enlighten me? lol)
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #20
I'm going.  Whether it's in the Thunderbird remains in question...  I'll update my thread on progress after the weekend.

I'm pretty sure I qualify an an "old guy", but have no clue as to what your uncle means by "pine riser"!

This year, for guys who are within a days driving distance of Detroit, doing three days of the Tour is a great option.  It keeps time off work to a minimum (one maybe two days, depending on how far home is from Champagne).  It's worth going just for a day to see the spectacle!

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #21
Quote from: 86T-bird;388701
I'm going.  Whether it's in the Thunderbird remains in question...  I'll update my thread on progress after the weekend.

I'm pretty sure I qualify an an "old guy", but have no clue as to what your uncle means by "pine riser"!

This year, for guys who are within a days driving distance of Detroit, doing three days of the Tour is a great option.  It keeps time off work to a minimum (one maybe two days, depending on how far home is from Champagne).  It's worth going just for a day to see the spectacle!

Yeah, that's why I opted to go again this year.  I will be close to home and will only miss a couple days of work. While I'm skipping day one in "the D", I am looking forward to Muskegon.  They were very receptive of the tour last year and I thought it was a nice town/setting.  Hopefully I can get downtown quicker this year and witness more of the burnout area.

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #22
I"ll be there! First three stops.

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #23
Quote from: gumby;388808
I"ll be there! First three stops.

Will there be any autox stuff at any of the stops you are attending?  It would be awesome to see your 'bird waxing some high $$ pro touring stuff around the cones.

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #24
See post #10. Looks like evening autoX in Champaign

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #25
Oops should have read that!

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #26
I hate you all that have been on Power Tour, it's on my bucket list and I have yet to do it :bowdown:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #27
I visited Montgomery last year! Had fun!

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #28
The Thundebird will not make the Power Tour this year.  Pressurized the oil system and the rear main is leaking, not enough time to R&R the engine and take care of the other logistics.  I'll still be attending the first three stops, but I'll be riding in a 2002 Chrome Yellow Honda S2000.

2012 Hot Rod Power Tour

Reply #29
Well that sucks.  At least you still get to go, though.