Skip to main content
Topic: #7 Missing (Read 1033 times) previous topic - next topic

#7 Missing

The car I just got back from the shop with $1200 worth of AC work?  Yeah it's in the shop again.

Seems the #7 cylinder has a consistent miss.  They hooked it up to an o-scope and it's getting spark.  They think it's a fuel problem.  How plausible is injector failure?  Does anyone have any ideas about what else it could be?  Just looking for other possible causes and what the most common one would be.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

#7 Missing

Reply #1
id check the spark plug for carbon bridging or maybe they acidently unplugged the injector? .

at very least pull #7 and have a look
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

#7 Missing

Reply #2
Geez, you have some bad carma going on, first this, then your wifes accident... 

Hope the insurance thing works out, and hopefully the number 7 problem is something simple. 

If it was missing from the onset of your AC work I'd guess a wire harness plug got a mangled or something.  The #7 injector is hard to get to with the intake manifold covering up that area, so its unlikely that wire got disturbed.

I wonder if those two salt and pepper connectors near the firewall may have gotten some contaminents on the pins, I think the fuel injector signals go through those.

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

#7 Missing

Reply #3
Did they ever find what was going on with the miss?

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

#7 Missing

Reply #4
Yeah it was just a dirty injector.  They took it out, cleaned it, and put it back in.  It's been running fine for a couple weeks now.

Now I just need about $3500 for paint, tires, a TC rear end, CHE Performance control arms, and an HO conversion.  :D
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

#7 Missing

Reply #5
I had a similar problem on the same cyl.  I kept fouling plugs in cyl #7 and is was driving me crazy...I had to crank it for a good 10-15 seconds before it would even fire up.  Just out of curiousity, I replaced that injector with an old injector from the SO motor and it started and idled smooth...just backfired and ran like hell under a load.  After I got new 19lbers it was a work of art in the way it ran...seems my cyl. 7 injector was hanging WIDE open.  Glad you got it worked out!
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

#7 Missing

Reply #6
Wow, never knew the injectors could cause trouble.  I had 220k miles on my V6 injectors.  When I put the HO in, I bought my orange injectors off eBay.  The new ones are very pricey. :hick:

Now I know what to look at in case those used injectors act up. ;)

Thanks

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7