Skip to main content
Topic: '83-'85 Tbirds/Cougars don't have adaptive strategy? (Read 1048 times) previous topic - next topic

'83-'85 Tbirds/Cougars don't have adaptive strategy?

I was leafing through Probst's book again last night and noticed that he says adaptive strategies weren't introduced in our application until 1986. So, does that mean all of these cars cannot compensate for any modifications or age? I realize once in closed loop the ECU can use the O2 sensors to change the fuel trim, but if the computer doesn't adapt, open loop and WOT throttle tables will be the same as the day they left the factory, right?

Re: '83-'86 Tbirds/Cougars don't have adaptive strategy?

Reply #1
Ummm my '80-'87 Probst manual is loaned to a freind, but I gotta say he's fulla shiznit on that one. I'm 99.999% sure all the SEFI 5.0s have the adaptive strategies. Whether the CFI systems had adaptive strategies I don't know.

EDIT

Here's what he says in the '88-'93 manual, and I quote...

Some 1985 Ford engine controlls were adaptive. All since 1986 are adaptive...

Re: '83-'86 Tbirds/Cougars don't have adaptive strategy?

Reply #2
Yeah, I thought I might be a year off. I'll change the title to reflect that.

Hmm, might be a reason to do a computer swap in my '85 3.8.

Re: '83-'85 Tbirds/Cougars don't have adaptive strategy?

Reply #3
The setup in my 84 T/c was adaptive. Once i loaned it to a buddy and when i go tit back it tan like shiznit. The car had tuned its self to run how he drove it. It took about a day to get it to relearn my way of driving. I guess I know that he was easy on it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Re: '83-'85 Tbirds/Cougars don't have adaptive strategy?

Reply #4
Probst could be wrong, but he says no Cougar/Tbirds had adaptive control until '86. My guess is it was just your imagination.