Skip to main content
Topic: Dell Computers (Read 6329 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Dell Computers

Reply #30
On the subject of Dell's... my mother is looking into getting one for my younger brother.  Anyone know if the models equipped with the onboard graphics also have an AGP port?  I can't seem to find a desktop under $600 with a decent graphics card.

Reply #31
I say wait for black friday and then jump on one of the many deals that will be around. You never know what'll show up. http://bf2004.net/

I'm sure most if not all of Dell's systems have AGP ports. They use a lot more standard parts (motherboards) than they used to

edit:
or maybe not... http://china.nikkeibp.co.jp/china/img_data/040310tow2.jpg
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #32
This new one I'm getting has PCI express. The standard video option is onboard Intel Extreme but I selected the PCI Express add-in card instead. I would think that if you look at the system you want at it has the option to add better graphics cards then the motherboard would likely have the slot(s) to do so. My father's dimension that he bought last year has the onboard and the optional add-in Geforce card that he selected, with the onboard disabled in bios.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #33
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Are you sure it's the adapter and not the jack in the back of the computer? That may have a bad solder joint on the motherboard, causing a no charge condition. Both of my fault adapters worked for awhile, and even worked when I returned them. They just had shorts in their output wires.

THe first one had a short on the output wire (the 19.5 volt piece) the second was completly the wrong adaptor.  I didn't even plug it in, because it was a 140 watt and the origional was a 90 watt.

Reply #34
D'oh! Wrong parts suck ass!

What was your original power supply? Mine's a PA-6

If the connector is the same and the voltage is the same and the pinout on the connector is the same as your original, the PS will work for you. The computer will only draw as much power as it needs, so if everything else is the same your new 140-watt PS may just be a bonus. The pinout for the connector should be printed on the P.S. label.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #35
My origional was a PA-10 series.  You were right on, the replacement has the wrong connector.  But get this.........it was also a PA-10!!  Even if if woulda fit I was scared that the extra watts would do something bad. They are air shipping me, the third replacement, which should arrive tomorow.  This time I talked with a tech support guy who knew his stuff, not a customer care representitve (who shipped the wrong one) :dunno:

Reply #36
Finally got the right, working part.  To anyone considering dell products, to their credit they were prompt in overnight shipping replacement parts, and their tech support people seem decently knowledgeable on the phone.

Reply #37
I just got a new battery for mine. It was working OK but not 100%, and with the warranty coming to an end I wanted a new one. I called them Thursday at about 2:30PM (a holiday, at that) and the new battery was in my hands by Friday at noon. Now THAT is fast service!!1

Reply #38
I just helped my folks pick out a new computer.  I chose a dell demension 3000 for them, mainly due to the outragous deal.  After noticing that the demsion 2400 desktop system was no longer offered with the free 2nd bay cd burner bonus, I started shopping for a replacement deal (you know how dell changes there rebates and deals almost weekly).  Well, I found on their business side a dell demension 3000, for only $499 before taxes.  This system came with a pentium 4 @ 2.8 ghz (!), 512 mb ddr sdram (free upgrade), 80 gb ata hard drivem (7200 rpm), 48x cdr/rw, floppy, and windows xp home.  Also included was a 15" dell flat screen lcd monitor, and a free printer.  This was the best deal I've seen in a long time.  Sure, its got the integrated graphics, but the folks aren't gonna run autoCAD or play any games.  Practically any entry level computer would have worked for them, but this one just gives you so much more for your dollar than any of system out there for that price.

I was even thinking of getting the system w/o the monitor for myself.  It was only $350 in that configuration.  :ies:

Reply #39
I had actually forgotten to post the update about the Dimension 4700 I had ordered. It came, and I immediately uninstalled all of the Dell bloatware that was preloaded. I then installed Norton Antivirus and ran all of the updates. After the install I ran a full system scan and didn't the thing have no fewer than seven viruses on it!!! A brand new, virgin computer, only out of the box for about an hour and only connected to the internet long enough to get the Norton updates! All of the viruses were in the Java folder. I forget which ones were there except for one - byteverify. I can't believe that a brand new computer from a major manufacturer would come preloaded with viruses!!!

Having found viruses on a new machine I had an inherent distrust about the whole computer - I mean, if a virus could be there what other malware was included with that Dell preloaded garbage? I immediately formatted, partitioned, and reinstalled Windows. ed thing works real good now! I had no idea that ol' P4 3.2 Ghz HT chip would be so fast. It's only 400Mhz faster than the 2.8 in my laptop, but the laptop only has a 533Mhz bus and no hyperthreading. I'm sure the 7200RPM serial ATA hard drive and 1GB Dual channel DDR400 RAM (compared to the laptop's 5400RPM drive and 512MB DDR266 RAM) have something to do with the speed difference as well.