Skip to main content
Topic: deer hit repaint and misc interior redo & repair of 20th anny (Read 5626 times) previous topic - next topic

deer hit repaint and misc interior redo & repair of 20th anny

Reply #15
considering doing gold on the grille where the chrome is.  since i dont think i will ever luck out on the ultra rare gold/cabernet red combo grille, i can mock it up with the specific color gold ford used which is "sunburst gold",,, easily found at your box stores.

Reply #16
I think I might have a 20th grille in my parts stash, I'll check later today or tomorrow.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #18
So you rattle canned the whole car? If so legitimately not bad. I'm impressed.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19

no,,, what i mean is that some 20ths had gold where the chrome is,, and all were red on teh fins.

even the cougar in the middle was gold.

Eric can provide a pic of an example.. its been a few years but back on the old board somebody showed up with one on thier 20th car and that started the discussion.

Reply #20
Quote from: thunderjet302;463128
So you rattle canned the whole car? If so legitimately not bad. I'm impressed.

not sure what that means,,, someone else also thought its rattle can work.

I experimented with rattle can options from napa.  they mix your color base/clear/hardener / reducer /flex agent into a can that is under air pressure,, then you spray it... it worked really nice in the temp areas i played around with..  I sanded all that off and did the car HVLP.

Reply #21
basically i did the whole job outside under a tarp

Reply #22
Pics of the booth? Well done one paint work!

Reply #23
For some reason I thought it was rattle can spray paint.

Either way looks good.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #24
Quote from: Sancho;463139
Pics of the booth? Well done one paint work!

see page 1, post 4, you will see a tarp tent where i painted outside.  i changed the tarp out to a new one that came all the way down on the driver & pass side when i was finally ready to hit with a gun.  this short sided gray tarp was temp until i got another larger one that came down on both sides.

the disadvantage is i have this one cat that just loves his daddy.  He really enjoyed seeing my shadow passing along the tarp and chasing it  ** while he was on top of the tarp**.
at one point i was back at the trunk area of the cougar standing straight up and just gazing upon my work,,, then suddenly my hat gets vaporized up into the sky.  i get up on the bronco bumper and there the fugger sat,, flicking his tail , nothing but teeth and claws as he enjoys killing my hat.

the cat was the reason i had to change out my gray tarp because he was getting on the garage roof.  he would look down and see my shadow,, he would wait... and wait then he would pounce my shadow by jumping off the garage roof to the tarp.  He pretty much wore out the eyelets of the tarp doing this several times.

i am glad he showed me his new tricks early on while i was simply doing sanding and body work.  when it came time to paint the car for real.. i tossed him insde the house where he would cry and beg momma to let him go out so he could make his dad bleed... because thats just so much fun!

Reply #25
Quote from: thunderjet302;463142
For some reason I thought it was rattle can spray paint.

Either way looks good.

this pic is of rattle can mix from napa, i wet sanded and 3 stage 3m buffed it.

like mentioned,, i  removed all the air pressure can paint and shot with a gun.

the pic is washed  out with a color distortion, the big replacement blue tarp took over my subject area but did capture the rattle can work good enough.

Reply #26
here is another very good picture of the rattle can work,, you can see my 100 year old fan i used as exhaust.

in this particular picture i had not yet wet sanded....  you can make out the orange peel which was even enough and wet sanded down in one pass.

Reply #27
here is a pic of after i hit the whole car with a the HVLP gun.  we are way past the rattle can experiements.

I wet sanded the whole car and what i am trying to show is the fender.
the fender is ready to buff with 3m 3 stage.
the hood has been buffed with 3m 3 stage.

you can see that the fender is wanting to shine a little.  thats what i was saying earlier is that what i learned is dont stop wet sanding until your surface looks like its reflecting.'

Reply #28
since the rattle can paint is the very same paint that i used to shoot the car HVLP, i wanted to demo using spray cans.

What i learned..........

you have to move very slow with the rattle cans.
you need 24 cans minimum according to my calcs "if you wanted to do a whole coug/bird"
*DO NOT* buy a few here and few there.  I bought 4 cans and later got 3 more.  the second order i placed, well the color was not matching.... so order all at once.
at 13$ per can its amazing how it works out to be about the same cost as buying single stage paint and shooting with a gun.
the second purpose was to get some hands on working with the rattle can car paint.  I wanted to know that if in a pinch during a body part replacement i would NOT have to get into all the complications and step by step procedure of setting up a booth.  I could do some minor tenting for dust mitigation, set up a high cfm fan then scuff, prime, surface clean, spray can it , wet sand, surface clean and buff then wax.
another purpose was to encourage people who dont have a place to paint,, that it can be done if you plan an outside area well enough , dont worry too much about the look of the paint "knowing" our wetsanding will fix most anything.

the benefit of the rattle can is (from what i was told) you dont need to wait as long before wet sanding because they use hot reducer.

Reply #29
what i am going to rattle can on the car is the door jams and such.
i need to buy 4 cans.

so far excluding the costs of the rattle can experiement i have 625$ in materials for painting this.
this includes the 3m 3 stage which is expensive.