Skip to main content
Topic: 88 TC aka Bad Decisions (Read 4099 times) previous topic - next topic

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #15
Managed to get the driver side Kmember bolts out, it was a battle. Pretty happy i can just cut the passenger side, cause that was zero fun.

X

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #16
On the bright side the bolts are still pretty much the same diameter as when new. I've seen some very rusty K-member bolts that were only half or less of their original thickness.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #17
I'm blown away by what LMR and 50resto charge for these crossmember bolts and j nuts, I understand they're special, but 200$ for four bolts and nuts?

Looks like I'm getting some used ones haha.

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #18
Quote from: Sancho;462773
I'm blown away by what LMR and 50resto charge for these crossmember bolts and j nuts, I understand they're special, but 200$ for four bolts and nuts?

Looks like I'm getting some used ones haha.

Jebus. Yeah just eBay it. I've seen all 6 K-member bolts from a Fox Mustang listed for $50-100.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #19
A grade 8 or better hardware store bolt wouldn't cost more then $15... you car cutting and replacing the entire area. I wouldn't be worried with originality...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #20
One word; "Fastenal".
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #21
Check these videos out, this guy kinda shows what to do on frame rails and shock towers. Not a write up or how to, just showing you what you are getting into.

https://youtu.be/CykDm_pen 15syI
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #22
Been there bud. I sandwiched a 2x3 .083 piece of box tubing in what was left of my frame rail and built off of it. Its all a challenge but I think I rebuilt my frame rails and strut towers for under $50 hardware included

88 TC aka Bad Decisions

Reply #23
Did some work today, removed the spot welds and pulled the sway bar bracket. Going to bend up a U channel sometime this weekend and see how it fits in there.