Skip to main content
Topic: Alternator problem after cluster swap messup? (Read 3637 times) previous topic - next topic

Alternator problem after cluster swap messup?

Reply #15
There needs to be a resistor... Let me quote another thread I found.
Quote from: MasterBlaster;3712
Did you put in a resistor between terminals A4 and A6? If not, your alternator will never charge. Non-buttstuffog cars use a cluster with a warning lamp to supply the alt with "start-up" power via the ignition switch. There's also a parallel "back-up" 500 ohm resistor installed across the bulb just in case it burns out.

No resistor or bulb = no start-up current = no charge.

From the chart on the bottom half of Sam's page:

ALT lamp (IAR out) Light Green / Red - Plug A, terminal 4
 ALT feed from IGN (IAR in) Grey / Yellow - Plug A, terminal 6

Here's another from Eric's Coolcats site:
http://www.coolcats.net/media/elec2tc.pdf
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #16
Hope that helps.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #17
awesome so all i need to do is get a 500 ohm resister and and wire the grey/yellow wire to a key on power source?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #18
Wire it to the ltgreen/red and the grey/yellow unless I'm reading it wrong. You need a load to get the alt going. The base dash uses a 194 bulb in the battery light as a load to get the alt to kick on and then has a backup 500 ohm resistor in case the bulb burns out.

You could likely just try clipping a bulb to those wires with some alligator clips temporarily to see if the cars starts charging.

Not sure if the amp guage will work this way, but it should get the alt charging again. I'm still looking through diagrams trying to figure out the cluster wiring.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #19
The gray/yellow wire is wired the  ignition switch and should be hot with the ignition in RUN.
Since your buttstuffog cluster doesn't have a warning light, just hook the gray/yellow wire to the light green/red wire.
You don't need a resister.

The diagram I posted is 88. It is different than 87. It has two  more fuse links and is hooked up different.

Reply #20
well i did that and now none of my dash lights work is there a fuse somewhere that might have went out?
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #21
not even the light on my radio works the car is charging now though
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird

Reply #22
alright thanks guys i figured it out the light grey/ blue wire needs to be wired to the the grey/yellow one
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird