Skip to main content
Topic: Need engine project advice. (Read 5501 times) previous topic - next topic

Need engine project advice.

Reply #30
Aerocoupe, while I'm not sure I'll get there with 24#'s, I'm using it as a starting point.  It's almost nothing to swap out 36# or 42# injectors later (although it's almost a ludicrous statement to say that I'd need that much fuel). As for my target, I'm talking flywheel HP and the exhaust isn't that small. 1 5/8 headers in front of 2 1/2 duals isn't small, and I don't buy into the idea that I need solid lifters or that I can't get there below 6000 rpm.  So I'll tell you what, I'll build it, take a picture, and scan my RWHP dyno sheet, and post my drivetrain loss correction calculation.  #challengeaccepted

Reply #31
There is nothing wrong with having the capability of having too much fuel. There is a lot wrong with not having enough. Unless I was doing a 100% setup, I would go overkill one the sizing as well. If your buying new, the price isn't really even any different.

Ihwould also run larger exhaust, but that's just me I guess.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #32
Okay, now we are getting somewhere if you are talking flywheel hp.  You can do that under 6,000 rpm and with a 302 motor.  I am basing that statement on the one that sits in my garage that I drive on occasion. 

All I was saying is to get 375-395 rwhp it would be difficult with a NA 302 motor.  Typically small motors don't make a ton of power naturally aspirated down low in the RPM's without a power adder.  Small motors need to breath to get them in the higher RPM's to make power.  This typically takes a lot of induction and a large (read 3"+) exhaust which typically means a solid roller cam.  Then the issue is there is no power off idle.

The only thing I would highly suggest is that you consider at least a 36 lb/hr injector.  If you get the 24 lb/hr units and decide to go larger then you have to either buy a new MAF calibrated to the larger injectors or change the electronics in the MAF, or have the car dyno'd again.  I would also run a 255 lph pump but a 190 lph would suffice.  The beauty of the injection is that is will only burn what it needs if properly tuned and the rest of the fuel will just return to the tank.

I had the 24 lb/hr units in my car and washiznitting the wall at 289 rwhp.  Changed to the 42 lb/hr units (buddy had a set and was cleaning out his garage so I got them for a good deal) and the car went to 318 rwhp afer I paid $125 to get the chip reprogrammed and dyno time.  It was well worth it as the idle surge was gone and it was so much smoother through the RPM's.  The 24's were just maxed out and could not provide enough fuel.

Anyhow, good luck with the project!  Sounds like you have a solid start on it.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #33
Update, Cirspoogestances unforeseen have caused me to revise.  I picked up a 120k 96 GT40 (non P headed) motor from an Explorer. I'll get to the other mods when I can, but I've got to keep it drive-able for now, so I'm going to swap in the HO cam from my old engine, and run it for now.  It's kind of funny how a loose motor can go from 'ok for now' to scary so fast.  I'm hoping to open the exhaust up in a month or so, but for now, that's all I have to work with.  I had to have a motor shipped in from across the state, the guy at the yard tells me, "the 96 and 97 motors go out about as fast as they come in" and "the Mustang guys grab them up like they were free candy". Figures.

Reply #34
Quote from: Haystack;386255
There isn't much differance between the tf1 and e cam. There basically copies of each other.

Not really.....

E-cam
cam lift.311 int exh .311
valve lift .498 int exh .498
max lift intake 110* exhaust 110*
valve setting. .000 intake exhaust .000

cam timing @.004 tappet lift
intake opens 28* btdc closes at 74* abdc duration is 282
exhaust opens 68*bbdc closes 34* atdc duration 282

cam timing @.050 tappet lift
intake opens at 0* btdc closes 40*abdc duration 220
exhaust opens 40* bbdc closes 0* atdc duration 220

TFS stage 1
Valve Setting Intake: .000 in.
Valve Setting Exhaust: .000 in.
Advertised Duration (Degrees): 275 intake/279 exhaust
Duration at .050 in. Lift (Degrees): 221 intake/225 exhaust
Camshaft Lift: .312 in. intake/.319 in. exhaust
Valve Lift with 1.6 Rocker Arms: .499 in. intake/.510 in. exhaust
Lobe Separation (Degrees): 112
Intake Cam Timing at .050 in. Valve Lift:
Opens 3 degrees BTDC
Closes 38 degrees ABDC
Max lift: 108 degrees ATDC
Exhaust Cam Timing at .050 in. Valve Lift:
Opens 49 degrees BBDC
Closes 4 degrees BTDC
Max lift: 116 degrees BTDC

FWIW  the TFS cam more closely mirrors the b cam than the e, albeit with a little more lift and a more aggresive ramp rate.  The TFS has more dwell over the nose as well.
The reason guys run slower as opposed with the stock cam is two fold.

1. not enough gear.
2. not enough converter.

I assume you're going to run the AOD.  I would recommend a 2600 RPM stall at the least.  A 3K will do you nicely.  The bigger the cooler the better.  Find one from a company called Long.  They make the coolers for B&M.  They're cheaper too.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #35
My car has a smaller cam and I'm still running 3.73 gears and a 2800 stall converter. It pulls hard out of the hole. With a 302 in a heavy car you need gear and a converter to get it up and going.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #36
That's really not what I'm after.  If I ever take my car to the strip, it only going to be as a means of validation.  This is a street car, if I ever get it involved in any kind of racing, it will be autocross.

Reply #37
WOW, what a fight! Just finished today, Tear down on GT40 Explorer engine, swap a 90 Stock HO cam, FRPP oil pump, new oil pan, new double roller set (would you believe the GT40 motor had a regular chain?), build up and install. Whew!  Then I got to pull the front cover, chase a pump shaft, put it back together, fight with a thermostat that slipped down during the build (causing a leak), then when things looked good, I had all the older techs in the shop help me track down a low vac/rich mix problem that ended up being a wrong EGR plate gasket (I used a 96 motor to keep internal EGR). All said and done; 4 days, 1100 bucks including the core (which I may not cash in) and a dump truck full of frustration.  Goes like stink, though, and most importantly, keeps oil pressure at 55-60 psi all the time, AND I don't smell burnt coolant in the exhaust, OR hear any knocking or tapping!

Reply #38
geez motor torn down, built, dropped in and running in 4 days? you really fought a quick battle with that 1!
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #40
Good to hear it's on the road!

"a dump truck of frustration"  That's a great way to put it!  Can't remember a project I've done without a least one dump truck full.

Pretty quick work, in comparison to many on the site (me included...).

Reply #41
It helps to work in a Ford shop, with other Ford techs, who have nothing better to do than help, and also to have a parts account. I'm pretty fortunate that way.  Now I've got the same high idle problem as the guy in that other thread.

Reply #42
Dang you were booking it for a 4 day swap and doing all the work to the motor.

*golf clap*

Now go get a beer.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #43
Lets see, the engine showed up Thursday, I stripped it to the long block and pulled the cam, Friday I pulled out my HO and stripped it down to the long block and pulled it's cam (which was wiped at the journals). Lucky for me I know a guy that had a 90 HO cam and who just gave it to me, Saturday I worked the whole day, about 8 hours,  to install the cam and assemble the motor and get it in the car, and I spent 4 or 5 hours Monday relocating the ACT to the airbox and trouble shooting no oil pressure (pump shaft had fallen out while I was building it up, which was a careless mistake) and rough running, which happened to be a too small EGR plate gasket not sealing EGR out of the engine.  I won my first street light drag with it last night against a turbo eclipse, so I'm pretty happy.  Next: Exhaust, heads to bumper.  This stock exhaust business is killing me, well not completely stock, but all stock parts as I have a Mark VII H-pipe.  Also, I think I'm going to mod the Explorer TB to run in place of the HO one.  By comparison it's huge.

Reply #44
The Explorer TB is 65mm the HO one is 60mm. I'd run it :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.