Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 liter MFI turbo setup in a cougar or bird??? Questions for the Knowledgable?? (Read 670 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 liter MFI turbo setup in a cougar or bird??? Questions for the Knowledgable??

Ive been wanting to turbo a 3.8 in a cougar or t-bird!! I have a really nice 87 t-bird i have recently bought. But it has cfi instead of mfi. I found a 88 cougar 3.8 mfi close to here but its rough. How much work would it take to swap this setup into my bird?? I never messed with cougars before so i dont know if all the wiring is identical to the birds. Im not sure if i could boost a central fuel injection setup and have it run as good as the mfi!!! I would want the multi port for bigger injectors,adjustable fuel regulator,throttle body,ect. I also wouldnt have to buy a carb hat,i could just plumb the tubing from the fmic to the intake.

Of course i would freshen up the 3.8 with some fel-pro head gaskets,redo the bottom end(rings,bearings,pistons maybe,oil-pump). Play with the heads a lil bit.
And install a supercoupe camshaft because im sure they are boost oriented somehow??

Could i source some shorty headers for a 3.8,off something newer?? (mustang)

Any input would be great!!! But no Ney-SAYERS!!!!:flip:
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

3.8 liter MFI turbo setup in a cougar or bird??? Questions for the Knowledgable??

Reply #1
I found some late 90's headers off a 3.8 stang on ebay for $40. Can these be mounted backwards to mount a t/3 4  on some exaust tubing???? also seen a couple turbo kits with turbo,intercooler,piping,oil-lines,ect for $400 dollars. Could probably make all the plumbing work on the 3.8. Ill just have to buy some bends of exaust tubing and cutoff wheel and go to town!!!!
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Reply #2
I'd get some SC pistons, I beleave they're forged.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #3
Start with an S.C. block.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com