Skip to main content
Topic: Gear drive timing (Read 1983 times) previous topic - next topic

Gear drive timing

Does anyone have it on their EFI 5.0s?
What brand is preferred if you have it?.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Gear drive timing

Reply #1
Forget gear drive jerry,too noisy.
Get a billet true roller from roll master.
Some of the best timing chains out there.
Besides you don't need to make the fake super charger wine remember ;) .

Gear drive timing

Reply #2
are they still real noisy?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Gear drive timing

Reply #3
One of my friends in the car club has the gear drive timing set on his 5.0.He opted for the "noisy" gears,not that it matters,his car is so loud you can barely hear them.Sounds cool at idle though,and they are very reliable.There are quiet ones as well.For all practical purposes,a good double roller timing set is all you'd really need,and they'll last a long time,and,they are cheaper than the timing gears.I have thew double roller chain on my current engine,and the new engine.They've never let me down,and Ford used them as stock pieces on the H.O engines.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Gear drive timing

Reply #4
I've been searching the web and not getting a lot of positive feedback with them on EFI motors anyway. Just thought I would toss the question out there before I bought a new timing set. I'm still leaning towards the dbl chain myself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Gear drive timing

Reply #5
Go with the double roller,it'll be just fine.How's progress coming along/Anything new?I'm stuck.I have to get a new MAF,and it is,of course,outside the budget.In March,I should start having more funds for the Sport,but,that's March.Oh well,I can wait.....like I have a choice.Hopefully tomorrow I'll hit the boneyard (or next Wednesday) and gather up some Ebay stuff to sell.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Gear drive timing

Reply #6
You know where to find the new progress. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Gear drive timing

Reply #7
I know progress won't be found in my driveway.LOL.

Gear drive timing

Reply #8
Rollmaster all the way.

Gear drive timing

Reply #9
Timing gears are known to cause bad harmonics in the valvetrane at high rpms and rob the engine of horse power. You can't beat a Cloyes True Roller double roller timing chain.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gear drive timing

Reply #10
yes, I hear it causes bad vibrations inside the motor, causing premature wear on the cam. I can't find any valid tests on the lost HP though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Gear drive timing

Reply #11
Quote from: TBone;306345
Timing gears are known to cause bad harmonics in the valvetrane at high rpms and rob the engine of horse power. You can't beat a Cloyes True Roller double roller timing chain.

That's the timing chain I have as well.Never let me down.

Gear drive timing

Reply #12
Well I never had any issues and have had them in 2 of my cars now.  I had both the noisey ones and they were actually too quite for my liking.  They didnt have that classic "whine" that most of them do for some reason.

one is my old bird:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmRBDhM16J8

vid from inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0dBePhOk_I&feature=channel

and the other was my '88 xr-7 that I just sold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vuyXALUJ4&feature=channel

and a quick vid from inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKRVVieRd0

The one in the bird was a cheap $60 ebay one from Comp Cams or something, and the one in the cougar is a $285 pete Jackson one I bought at summit racing at one of the last CJ's I went to.