Skip to main content
Topic: Lunar Eclipse (Read 2619 times) previous topic - next topic

Lunar Eclipse

I tried getting the lunar eclipse when it started but I am still learning my camera.  I definitely found out there are some things that I have to look up in the user's manual that were annoying me.  Here is a pic though, just looks like a normal moon, oh well (note there is a car at the bottom):
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Re: Lunar Eclipse

Reply #1
Didn't you happen to see the moon getting obscured by the earth's shadow?  I watche the whoel thing outside of work.

Reply #2
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Didn't you happen to see the moon getting obscured by the earth's shadow?  I watche the whoel thing outside of work.

It's not the Earth's shadow... Earth's shadow causes the phases of the moon, other planets shadows cause the eclipse. :sawzall:

Reply #3
Nope.  Earth is coming between the moon  and the sun.

Reply #4
Quote from: MDJ1281
It's not the Earth's shadow... Earth's shadow causes the phases of the moon, other planets shadows cause the eclipse. :sawzall:

Source: http://space.com/spacewatch/eclipse_041027.html

What's going on

Lunar eclipses occur when Earth's shadow prevents sunlight from reflecting off the Moon. They can only occur during full Moon, and only on the relatively rare occasions when the Moon's orbit carries it into the same plane of space as Earth's path around the Sun.

Reply #5
i took a few pix, but i gotta get em developed. used a film SLR, cauz my digital tho it dosnt suck, has nothing on the 250mm lense i used on the slr :p

Reply #6
Regular cameras = teh sux0r when it comes to sky photography.

Reply #7
I watched it with my telescope.  I love that kind of stuff.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #8
I forgot to look for it.....Oh well, it was too cloudy n e ways

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #9
Quote from: MDJ1281

As someone else stated, it is the Earth's shadow. The phases of the moon, however, are caused by the moon's own shadow, and Earth's relation to it. And, of course, the moon's shadow causes the solar eclipse.

It was awesome, I saw the whole thing. Can't wait for the next time. ;)