Skip to main content
Topic: glasspack turndown. yes or no? (Read 3152 times) previous topic - next topic

glasspack turndown. yes or no?

finally got the cherry bomb put on.  sounds really nice. I left the exit exhaust pipe on just in case if i wanted to sell it later.  but im sorta having second thoughts on wether or not i should have had them cut off from the cherry bomb and have them as turndowns.    (its first day with the cherry bombs so i'm gonna give it a few days or a week to see how i like them.)  if not i'll have them cut from the cherry bomb. 

the exhaust shop said doing turndowns by just cutting the extra pipe after the cherry bomb would make it louder and give it a bit more power.

what do you think i should do?  turndown better?

Reply #1
Not gonna make any difference in power. Nothing exhaust-related will really help you power-wise right now, unless you ripped the whole thing off and did a full true-dual 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust complete with stock mustang 5.0 headers.

It will definitely be louder with a turndown thats for sure. Youll feel it shake through the floor. I like that a lot, not everyone does. Thats what you have think about, whether or not that's gonna annoy you lol.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
Or you start a fire in my buddy's yard like I did.
Dry grass in the summer.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #3
Or start the car on fire like my buddy did with his '84 5.0 T-Bird years ago (the same T-Bird that the fuel pump failed on and left us stranded on the side of the road in a snowstorm on my birthday). Make sure you have no oil leaks or undercoating under there.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
On a stock engine, just doing dumps will not gain you any more power over full tailpipes.  (Unless you're using something like 2" tubing). 

Leave the tailpipe
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
Not trying to hi-jack kidcats thread, but do turndowns with a 2.5" true dual set-up give more power than tailpipes?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #6
On a stock engine, just doing dumps will not gain you any more power over full tailpipes. (Unless you're using something like 2" tubing).

Leave the tailpipe

Not trying to hi-jack kidcats thread, but do turndowns add more power with a 2.5" true dual set up?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #7
No idea why that posted twice...
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #8
the turndowns wouldnt affect hp in really any noticable ammount.  exaust dumps after headers yes... turn downs no

Reply #9
There's turn downs on my bird.
There's 2 burn spots on my lawn
that's all I got
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
well I got the bomb on, and he gave me the option of making them turndown or just reconnecting it to the exhaust.  I chose to leave it all one peice and let it exit out the rear.  I was just wondering if this was the right choice.  my dads friend said that was a good choice as to where it will still have the tone but all the noise will be shot to the rear and that when they do turn downs alot of the noise will be under me which may get annoying sometimes depending on what I want.  but with the piping and all.  even if i did turn downs it the noise will still be somewhat in the rear because the cherry bomb ends just afew inches before it gets to the rear axles.

If i replace the headers will that make the cougar a bit more louder?
 and would there be any issue if i replace just the headers and if the rest of the piping is stock?

what year headers do i need from a mustang?

Reply #11
Getting headers will add a better sound and give you a few horses too (they are way lighter than the cast manifolds and have better flow). However your stock y-pipe wont bolt on to them correctly without major leakage problems, thats where the h pipe comes in. Heres a link that may help you some more...
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/50dualexhaust.html
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #12
You can check out my video in the users ride section to see how loud yours can get. I have just turndowns on my Flowmaster knock offs.  sounds ok, and actually it got quieter inside with the longtubes over the shorties....