Skip to main content
Topic: Changed EGR...Now I wait and See....READ LAST POST BIRDMAN! (Read 14885 times) previous topic - next topic

Changed EGR...Now I wait and See....READ LAST POST BIRDMAN!

Reply #30
well that bumps the TIMING. i personally dont know enough to know whether or not that will increase the idle. but see if it smooths it out. advancing the timing will increase power a little, and it may help. if you indeed have checked everything else its probably more or less a last resort. i have followed your threads and cannot imagine the stress you must be under, and his suggestions seems like a last resort. just more options that are easy to try and who knows, they might help.

as another piece of input just for the hell of it--occassionally my car will also hunt for idle. just every once in awhile im backing out of my driveway (steep so i always put it i Neutral) so the engine is on its own. and sometimes it has dipped down to like 4 or 2 hundred rpm and the car does shake a little, then it says "oh shiznit im to slow" and then compensates then surges to like 1200 then settles in at 1000 to 800 or so and is fine. just letting you know that my car does shake a little too when its hunting for idle. just in case you get it running good but it has to hunt a little and he wonders why its shaking. nothing out of balance, thats just what it does.

and yes Autohole = Autozone. and i believe they pull codes for free if thats still an issue? or maybe thats advance auto. its one of em.

and move the distributor LITTLE bits at a time, so like maybe 1/16 of an inch in arc length. do you know what i mean? its a circle so you cant say move it 1/16 of an inch cuz it doesnt go in a straight line but dont move it a lot. just a little, tighten it down, fire it up and listen for pinging. if it pings you have to up the octane until it doesnt. hell advance it as much as the highest octane fuel at the station permits if the idle gets better. explain to the guy he'll have to put high test in cuz of the timing ("you wanted more power") and if he doesnt want to, just retard the timing (if he knows how to do that)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #31
take the iac off and clean it good. there is also an idle stop screw by the TB. its realy not the right way to fix the idle but it may help. bumping the timing will be fine but dont go so far as too let it "ping". dont realy know if that will help with your issue. if you advance the timing maybe try to stay away from running regular gas. um...oh yeah, forget that shiznitbox turbocoupe ;)

ps...is the heat or ac or whatever running when it stalls out or is all that stuff off.....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #32
That's the thing. I don't want to pour any more money into a car that I'm getting rid of in 1 week. Not only that, I don't know what I could possibly need to get? A new EGR? A new Ignition Switch?

I mean, it's not electrical, it's fuel/engine related. I'm just really worried right now as I don't want to get up to phoenix and have the car die out right in front of this guy's house. Or have him want to test drive my car and then it dies out on him. All these horror scenarios running through my head. Plus there's the matter of getting to work on time, or just getting there in general for the next week.

Ok, now I'm confused. There's two separate things controlling all around timing and idle? Please someone help me out here. What do I need to do to slightly bump up the idle? Or will moving the distributor clockwise just a little bit help?

(I took off the "IAC" last week and the engine lost rpms. But this is what's supposed to happen, no? So I didn't think I needed to clean it. It looked pretty clean to me? I was running the A/C on Low most of the way to work before it died out. I won't be doing that from now on...)
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #33
If your car ran fine all this time and all of a sudden it is acting up... Do not touch the distributor.  And for gods sake never move it without a timing light.

Now some troubleshooting.  When your car dies, at that very moment does the CEL come on and stay on?  Riddle me this.
One 88

Reply #34
Yes. It does...until I restart it.
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #35
EEC power issues ruled out.

Have you actualy set the TPS the proper way?  My 88 would stall at stop lights when its TPS and throttle stop position where out of whack, but it didn't do it every time.  Some times it would idle at like 300rpm but my car is also a 5 speed and could actualy idle that low without stalling sometimes.

Our 91 ford f150 (same ignition switch) will stall driving down the road on rare occasions.  When it does you simply nudge the key and it roars back to life.

Another idea, a fuel pump relay that is very week or an inertia switch on its way out.

If you could somehow drive the car with a fuel pressure gauge poking out from under the hood by the windshield you could then rule out a fuel issue.
One 88

Reply #36
I thought I set the TPS the right way. But, I know it was doing the bad idle thing before I adjusted it.

How would I check for a bad fuel pump relay? I just changed the pump 2 days ago!

1 week. I just need to have it run good for one week. Actually, as long as it doesn't have problems friday, I should be good. I'm going to use the better octane gas, and add some additives, but other than that? I don't want to pour any more money into this car that I'm getting rid of in a week. Just so long as I avoid intersections as much as possible.

Bed time guys, I'll read replies in the morning. I've got to work tomorrow. Goodnight everyone!
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #37
Quote from: cougarcragar;122752
I'm not too sure about that.
When the fuel pump in my '88 XR7 decided to poop itself, the car just quit running at 40 mph. No sputtering of any kind.
It would appear that the fuel injectors need pressure; any drop will kill the engine.

20 psi is when the injectors loose there pulse.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #38
Ok, now I'm really freaked. I changed the Cap and Rotor thinking that might be it....wrong.

It happened again this morning. I drive about 10 minutes to Wendy's and sit in the drive through. After about 3 minutes sitting at the window I noticed the RPM's start fluctuating and the engine starts sounding choked. The engine sputters a few times, and I put it in park. Again it sputters and then dies. It restarts back up, and as I leave the parking lot, it starts sputtering again. I had to floor it just to keep it from dying out. I made it home, but , I don't know what to do.

I haven't changed my EGR yet, nor the Map Sensor. Both are rather expensive. How can I check the EGR? Would it cause the car to die out at idle like that?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #39
I just tested the EGR valve. It held it's vacuum. I even ran the car and blew into the EGR tube which did force it open and the car died. Now what? Is there some electronic component that could be telling the EGR to stay open while at idle that's bad?

I checked the Map Sensor, and it does have good solid vacuum. The engine did die when I pulled the line off.

Since I don't have the tools to do it, can Autozone check the Map Sensor? I've narrowed the possible problem items to this. Would a check engine code diagnose a bad Map Sensor?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #40
i think just the vacuum connection moves the valve. dont really know what part the EVP (?) sensor attached to the valve does but its another component related to it so who knows?

but yes if too much exhaust is being dumped in thats a problem. imagine standing there trying to breathe too much of your own fart. youd probably stumble, sputter, and drop to the ground too.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #41
Quote from: ZondaC12;123569
imagine standing there trying to breathe too much of your own fart. youd probably stumble, sputter, and drop to the ground too.

:giggle:
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #42
Have you looked at the actual throttle body itself?  I know on my T/A there's a little hole in the middle of the blade for air to come in for idle.  Maybe yours is clogged?  Get some Sea Foam Deep Creep and spray down your TB and intake.  It can't hurt.

Reply #43
yeah these have a 1/8" hole on the left half of the throttle plate. wouldnt it not matter though because the IAC controls the airflow at idle and would compensate? if its indeed clogged with something you can clean it out by sticking a pencil through it :hick:

but seafoam isnt a bad idea either!

DMC24guy---

if you saw the thread in engine tech ive been doing my HO conversion. i have the old MAP sensor and entire EGR assembly cuz i pulled off the upper intake with everything attached. ive been having problems getting it to start as you'll read, so i think tonight im going to put the old MAP sensor back in (shouldnt be the problem but i want to verify i absolutely dont need it) and then i could send em to you if you want to try them. just pay me for shipping, say like $6 i dont think USPS should be more than that

my car ran GREAT with these, as the car was untouched up until i began the conversion.

Reply #44
*Edit* I just read the previous page.

I have no clue whats going on. Let us know if you ever find out...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)