Skip to main content
Topic: '87 cougar XR-7 exhaust (Read 821 times) previous topic - next topic

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Hello,

I have an exhaust question. I have the H.O. 5.O conversion and up until now I have been using the stock '89 mustang cat h-pipe and no lers.  I bought a 2 1/2 X-pipe and some flowmasters that are for a mustang. Will I have to lengthen the "mid pipes" to fit the cougar body? It's the pipes that fit from the X-pipe to the lers. Thanks.
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Reply #1
Yes,they'll have to be lengthened.Easy stuff for any mufler shop.i have the 2 1/2 inch X-pipe on my '88 T-Bird.Good choice.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Reply #2
I hear this a lot, BUT, when I bought the 'mid-pipes' aka flowtubes separately from MAC Performance, they were actually almost too long on my car.  Perhaps these separate ones were made longer for a reason?

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Reply #3
Okay, hopefully I'll get to doing this swap this weekend. If they are too short then I guess I can just cut the "mid-pipes" in half and splice in a piece of pipe and some clamps.  Should be a increase in power and sound.:cool:
Only in America do we use the word "politics" to describe the process so well: "POLI" in latin meaning "many", "TICS" meaning "bloodsucking creatures".

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Reply #4
The seperate midpipes are longer because they (the manufacturers) don't know what type of lers one is going to use.They sell the mid pipes pretty cheap.I had to add pipe because I was using my current lers and tailpipes aut replaced from the lers forward.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Reply #5
If you are just going to run dumps, you will be fine without any modifications.
Jim

'87 cougar XR-7 exhaust

Reply #6
I had to add tips to my LX tailpipes on my '85 5.0L, but not lengthen the mid pipes, then again I had a cheap wrinkle bent replacement type exhaust on it at the time.:dunce: :pbb:  was doing all my mods on that thing on a really tight budget back then.