Skip to main content
Topic: Small town service (Read 3507 times) previous topic - next topic

Small town service

Reply #15
Quote from: Chuck W;466091
^^

Has 3 20+year-old Volvos. Pretty rare to find ANY hard parts "same day".

Maybe brake pads....

Same day is for daily driver parts. Unless you're dding a 20+ year old Volvo.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Small town service

Reply #16
Well, wheel bearing started making noise, so I bought a new one. Got the old stuff off and put the new stuff on after lightly sanding the spindle to get rid off all the ridges. Wheel bearing slides right on, past where I need it to sit and all the old damage was closer to the threads, so I think I dodged a bullet and slap it all back together.

As I'm torquing the spindle nut checking for play, it strips the threads. Didn't realize it, but a chunk of the old washer was stuck inside the little square channel. As I was tightening it down it was cutting new threads, which honestly were probably already damaged. I had a new spindle nut at it was spinning right on, so I figured the threads were fine.

Obviously they weren't, so now I get to tear apart another car and take off the spindle.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Small town service

Reply #17
I remember when you could walk into AutoZone/O'Reilly's/etc, tell the guy at the counter what you needed, and he didn't even have to look it up on the computer.  He would walk right up to it on the shelf, bring it to you, would be right 90% of the time.  Or he would look at the computer, but would know that on such-and-such vehicle, the computer says this thing, but it's really the other, and would still bring you the right part.  I think most of these people had been mechanics prior to working at the parts store.  Many of the people working in these stores now don't know a brake caliper from a radiator hose, so they're going to bring you whatever might have been identified wrong on the shelf.  Even though they're only required to bring you what their system tells them to, in my opinion I expect them to actually know as much or more than me about what I need, and maybe even offer advice that I can use on my project, which the person off the street who knows nothing about cars can't do.  Oh well.....

Small town service

Reply #18
I had a friend who worked in an auto parts store. He worked there for a good 5-6 years and was decent at his job. One day I was hanging out with him, and he got a phone call. I can't exactly remember the years and whatnot, but the guy had like, a 68 Nova, with a 72 350, and a 4 speed out of another GM of a similar era. The guy needed a throwout bearing for something because his swap was an oddball swap. He puts the phone against his chest, looks at me and says "what section would a throwout bearing be in?" Another time, he had a customer buy rotors because his wheel bearings took a dump. He came back in confused as to why the bearings wouldn't work. I had to explain to the guy, he had two options: buy the matching races, or return the rotor, and hammer out the old races and put new races and bearings in saving him about 100 bucks. My buddy had no idea that the races weren't part of the rotor.

I understand that most people with an automotive background would prefer to make money turning wrenches than be behind a parts counter. It still doesn't make it any less frustrating when you know the parts persons job better than they do.
It's Gumby's fault.

Small town service

Reply #19
I had a buddy, knew nothing about cars. We worked a few spy temp jobs together. After a year or two, I noticed AutoZone was hiring.

We both applied, he got the job and I didn't. They told him they don't like hiring car guys because there py salesman and don't push stuff you don't need.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Small town service

Reply #20
Quote from: Haystack;466746
I had a buddy, knew nothing about cars. We worked a few spy temp jobs together. After a year or two, I noticed AutoZone was hiring.

We both applied, he got the job and I didn't. They told him they don't like hiring car guys because there py salesman and don't push stuff you don't need.

I guess I come from the mindset that if you don't sell unnecessary stuff to a customer, they will become repeat customers.
It's Gumby's fault.