Skip to main content
Topic: The things I see at work (Read 5060 times) previous topic - next topic

The things I see at work

Reply #60
what a terrible place for a fuel pump driver module, open to the world ready to catch all that can be splashed upon it.
bad engineering.

The things I see at work

Reply #61
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;404225
Wow, did this thread ever go sideways...

Back on topic:

This post should show that A) It's not just steel that rots out in Nova Scotia - aluminum is not safe either and B) it's not just Asian stuff. As the last photo shows, this failed component was made in USA. So...

The other day a certain 2007 model truck was towed in with a no-start condition. The customer stated that he could make it run by spraying quik-start into the throttle body, which indicated no fuel. Having played knifey-spooney before (this is a Simpsons reference), I knew the first place to look. I dropped the spare tire (itself a daunting task on the rusted out hulks we drive) and sure enough, I found this:
X
X
This is the fuel pump driver module (FPDM) from a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. As you can see the aluminum housing has completely corroded away, leaving the electronic guts exposed to the weather. Ford mounts these on the frame, usually above the spare tire, where things get wet and stay wet. It's common to see them go, although I'll admit this is one of the worst examples I've seen. The amazing thing here isn't that the truck wouldn't start, it's that it ran as long as it did...

...And here is the front side of the offending part. This was an American made part on an American made vehicle, so please, let's dispense with the "Everything foreign is junk" bullshiznit. They all break, and my making a living depends on it...
X

I think we have salt problems but I've never seen an aluminum component rot out here.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

The things I see at work

Reply #62
Quote from: Royce 67/87/97;404015
The science teacher has to interject... The sky is blue (on a clear, sunny day) due to refraction and scattering of light. Blue scatters the most due to its relatively short wavelength. The ocean is blue because of the "reflection" of the blue sky.

I started to correct someone, but thought better of it, since it really wasn't the topic of discussion. ;)

The things I see at work

Reply #63
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;404225
Having played knifey-spooney before (this is a Simpsons reference)...

"All right, all right, you win. Heh, I can see you've played knifey-spooney before!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The things I see at work

Reply #64
Today I learned that all:
Front wheel drive cars are junk and do not qualify as a "real car".
Asian cars are junk.
100K mile/10 year hassle free warranties are junk.
Buying "American made automobiles" is still a "thing".

and finally GM should have stopped producing vehicles with the typhoon/syclone trucks as these were automotive engineering perfection. What everybody should want and must have is a 14 second early 90's GMC Jimmy.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

The things I see at work

Reply #65
hhh
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

The things I see at work

Reply #66
jjj
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

The things I see at work

Reply #67
Quote from: TOM Renzo;404544
It seems like my presence here is taken very lightly and i seem to amuse people here.

When you come off as an arrogant douchebag, constantly post w in others' threads with your Chevy nonsense that doesn't pertain to the topic, and insult other people's choice in vehicles, it tends to come back to ya.

I don't have a personal issue with you, other than the way you look down on people because they don't think that a bow tie product is the be-all, end-all vehicle.

With THAT said, Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

And then you go back and edit your posts to say something like "uu", for what reason, i don't know. I wish this place was like the 'bullet and the corral, no editing allowed.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

The things I see at work

Reply #68
Dont worry shame you will not hear from me any more
I've heard this several times before from you and yet here you are. That's not to say weather or not I care at all either way. I do not. I was just shocked that somebody like yourself who holds himself in such high regard would say something THAT ignorant.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

The things I see at work

Reply #69
Ok

The things I see at work

Reply #70
:rollin::popcorn:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

The things I see at work

Reply #71
?????

The things I see at work

Reply #72
Tha

The things I see at work

Reply #73
Hi Tom. My name is Beau.
No, the opti did not sour me. I also don't get a nut by bashing GM every time I get the chance.
I also know that nobody is too old to learn something. Leave, stay. Not my drama to dwell on, but yours.
There's a reason some here call you a troll. You bait arguments, such as this one. I feel stupid for walking into it, and i can assure, it won't be a decision I make again.
Like I said, arrogance repels me. It's also before ignorance in the dictionary. Funny how humility is further down the list.

Thanks for the tips and info you have posted here. Now I think it's time to hide some people who tend to start the same old argument, thread after thread.
Love and peace.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

The things I see at work

Reply #74
Wow! I missed a lot with this thread. I've been battling Tom on another thread.

Beau, you are a wise man. Agree with your last few posts 100%.