Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo Kit??? (Read 747 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo Kit???

I want to turbo my 87 Thunderbird LX. Are there any kits out there? Can I just use a Turbo Coupe's Turbo?

Turbo Kit???

Reply #1
3.8? 5.0? a TC's turbo is too small for a 2.3, IMO.. my mother's hair dryer is larger.. that's not a joke, either lol..

if you have a 3.8, i wouldn't suggest it with your stock motor.. 3.8's are already head gasket eating machines

if 5.0, i suggest going 5.0 HO first.. the pistons are much stronger, pistons have valve reliefs (which will open up cam selection, if going aftermarket) and the heads are a little better (still nowhere's near a performance head)

hope this helps
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Turbo Kit???

Reply #2
I'd probably upgrade the brakes and suspension first. These things have inadequate braking for the power and weight with the stock engines...let alone one with 100 or more horses...

As Shadow suggested, start with an HO engine. Probably need to select pistons with a little less compression than stock, and build the engine with forced induction in mind.
What kind of transmission do you plan to use? Rear gearing?

These will also factor in with a turbo car, much less a heavier car like these...

I'd suggest building a simpler H/C/I combo first, with at least some worked GT40 or 40P heads to get an idea of how much faster the car will be...have some fun with that, then go apeshiznit with a turbo build. If I had silly money to blow I'd probably start with a 351w block and work up from there with the right combo....or an LS2 Chivvie.

You can also use junkyard stuff and build yourself a homemade twin turbo setup, but keep in mind that even 2 smaller turbos from a 4 or 6 banger car will quickly hit a limit.

There's a member here who built a neat TT Cougar. believe he used a 5.0 and some stock-type stuff for awhile before upping the ante, so to speak.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Turbo Kit???

Reply #3
If you have access to a welder, the cheapest way to go turbo is to build a reverse Y-pipe. It allows you to retain your stock exhaust manifolds for simplicity and effectiveness. It also works on any engine, including a 3.8. I was building these for people in my Maxima club, but its the same idea. You just mock up some pre-bent pieces of exhaust tubing from your stock manifolds to where you want the turbo to sit and weld it all together.

Here's another one mocked up with turbo and down-pipe on a spare motor. I purchased the T3, waste-gate, and down-pipe  on ebay.

Once you Have feed pipes you will need an oil feed for the turbo. I usually install a T at the oil pressure sending unit for the supply. A 4AN line should be used from there to the turbo. Then a 10AN line needs to be run from the turbo drain to the oil pan. I usually get all the AN stuff from JEGS because the ebay stuff is garbage.
The inter cooler and piping can be found cheap on ebay and will be usable. Ebay turbos, on the other hand, make good power, but have py bearings. They usually die within 6 months of daily use.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.