Skip to main content
Topic: column shifter removal (Read 881 times) previous topic - next topic

column shifter removal

Does anyone know how the column shifter comes out? I just swapped in the floor shift unit and would like to remove the column one. I figured I would ask before I ended up breaking something.

column shifter removal

Reply #1
take out the panels that cover the colum, then there are some hex nuts that hold it on.

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/floorshift_aod.html
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

column shifter removal

Reply #2
Thanks.I figured I would ask because I know a lot of the interrior trim pieces, the clutser bezel and such have to be removed in order to get the column covers  off. I just didn't want to go through the trouble just to find out I need a "saws-all" anyway.

column shifter removal

Reply #3
When I did the swap on my blue car,I removed the shift lever,left the rest on the column and removed the linkage under the hood.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

column shifter removal

Reply #4
Vinnie, howd oyu remove the shift lever? I can feel 3 screws which are on the back side of a bracket that the lever slips though. I can also see what appears ot be a kind of set screw which goes all the way through the shift lever itself. Not hex, not star driver, I cant figure out what goes into it. Is it one of those push spring pins? Its round on one side of it and then it turns to almost square, its tiny thought and it very hard to see. I just want the  column lever out of the car.

column shifter removal

Reply #5
I remember it being hex, and there are only the three on the top. I would just pull the whole colum out and then bend the shift lever out so you can get to all the screws.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

column shifter removal

Reply #6
I THINK I cut it off with a strong Dremmel and a cutoff wheel.The new column pieces covered the rest.The Sport had a console shifter from the factory.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..