Skip to main content
Topic: Value Cover Leakage (Read 1616 times) previous topic - next topic

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #15

Take the cover and gasket off. Make sure you can run the bolts into the holes without binding or bottoming out on something in the hole.

Softtouch Agree with jcassity.  Excellent thought!!!

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #16
And if that doesn't work head to the parts store and buy some of those Valve cover bolt washer things that spread the pressure out around the bolt area. They sell them in the Mr gasket brand around here. I've sold many of them for chevy 350's seem to work for them might work for you if the other solutions don't work 1st.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #17
Quote from: dw85745;237628
Softtouch Agree with jcassity.  Excellent thought!!!

:screwy:??  im lost but oh well, nothing new  : )

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #18
jcassity (Followup per your suggestion):

Ever beat a steel value cover yourself and had good results (i.e no splitting / fracturing of bolt hole, etc.?)

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #19
Quote from: dw85745;237868
jcassity (Followup per your suggestion):

Ever beat a steel value cover yourself and had good results (i.e no splitting / fracturing of bolt hole, etc.?)

yes,,
not sure where your going with this.

its pretty easy, just bevel the holes the opposite direction.  The bolt head is what has them beveled inwards now.
the reason i said not to use the rubber gaskets is that there are metal eyelets in the gasket where the bolts pass through.  This is a stop point where your bolt tightens but if the valve cover holes are beveled inwards,, it leaves a gap along the rubber portion on the pertimeter of the fit.

ie- your valve cover is stiting 1/32 or 1/16'' higher due to this.

the 5.0 oil pans have a long metal adaptor to prevent this from happening.
if you look at valve covers or oil pans without fender washers or adapators, the pan bolt holes are beveled towards the mating surface.

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #20
Try cork gaskets as well. I've been using Felpro cork gaskets on my 5.0 for years with no leaks (either with the stock stamped steel ones on the old SO motor or the aluminium FRPP covers on the HO I have now).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Value Cover Leakage

Reply #21
jcassity

Was just curious if you had ever beat a steel cover before and the outcome.
I consider this a  "last" ditch effort if nothing else works.

thunderjet302

Have Felpro perma-dry on now.  Just bought cork (original).

----------------------

Bought a piece of glass to check both the covers and the head to make sure everything is flat.  Once disassembled -- this weekend -- plan to use all the GREAT suggestions to date this thread. 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on my behalf.

David