Skip to main content
Topic: Grinding noise..again.. (Read 1906 times) previous topic - next topic

Grinding noise..again..

Hey u guys..I swapped this HCI motor in on the stock AOD..and used to beat it on the highway,at speeds around 110mph this LOUD grinding noise would come from the mid/front of the car..I thought this might be because of the stock tranny giving away..I swapped to a T-5 with beefed up internals..and still i have the grinding noise..would any accessories on the engine belt make such a grinding noise at around 4,000k rpms at around 110-140mph?

Thanks in advance for ur help =)..
1987 351 swap, T5, ac/smog/power steering delete, custom H pipe Borla ProXS lers..

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #1
does it do it at 4,000 rpm in neutral
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #2
nope..in the first 3 speeds i rev it up to 6k and no problems..in 4th at 4k rpm i get the sound,and if a shift to 5th at the same speed i still get the noise..
1987 351 swap, T5, ac/smog/power steering delete, custom H pipe Borla ProXS lers..

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #3
still have the dampner on the rear end?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #4
Your grinding your teeth because your going so fast!  Start yelling at those speeds and it wont happen any more.
One 88

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #5
But in reality.  Maybe your wheel bearings?  Mine start to hum at about 2 gear, they are really bad though.
One 88

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #6
yes still have the damper on the rearend..no my teeth are intact :P..

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #7
Tireshiznitting something? They can change shape at high speeds.

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #8
Actually that makes me think.  Do you have tires that are rated for those speeds?  Tires can start to shake at high speeds.
One 88

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #9
This may seem odd, but are your U-joints in fit shape, I used to have a bad one on mine, and it would vibrate around 55-60 mph, and again about 75-82 mph...
At least I changed it, and it hasn't done it since...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Grinding noise..again..

Reply #10
its not that my car has just passed 60,000 miles..its something from the front..im thinking the accessorys..or would a hose or cable be drawn into the fan and get grinded? i have no clue but its scaring me s***less..