Skip to main content
Topic: Coolant... (Read 2626 times) previous topic - next topic

Coolant...

Reply #15
It also could be that since I put the water/super cleaner mix, it may have actually cleaned the temp sensor off, and now it' actually reading the correct temps.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #16
Did some checking through the haynes for a sending unit check.

1)if the gauge reads hot shortly after cranking up, remove the connector and check the guage, if it reads drops or the light goes out, replace the sending unit.

2)If the gauge fails to indicate after a few minutes, shut off the engine, disconnect wire at the sending unit and connect a jumper wire to ground on the engine. Turn the ignition on without starting, if the gauge reads hot, replace the sending unit.

3)If the gauge still does not work, the gauge may be faulty or the circuit may be open.

That was straight from the Haynes manual. Maybe that will help out a little bit.
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #17
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;332909
It also could be that since I put the water/super cleaner mix, it may have actually cleaned the temp sensor off, and now it' actually reading the correct temps.

does it have the clip on connector or just the slide on connector, do you know what i mean by that?
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #18
It has got the clips on the side, they aren't broken. ( If thats what you were gonna ask). I just went out and looked, it's fully connected.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #19
not quite, i was thinking if it was a slide on connector it might be a loose connection to it, like mine had, but that one wont have that problem

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

Coolant...

Reply #20
Ahh, gotcha.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Coolant...

Reply #21
reviewed this thread three times fully.

Your saying the electric fan is coming on more often which would tell me you are getting hotter.

You have not mentioned coolant over flowing or any coolant noises after you turn off the engine.

running a lower temp t-stat means it will open and close at that temp.

The time it takes for a 195 to open would be the same amount of time the non flowing coolant would have to drop in temp.

Im thining put the 195 in.

you can test the temp sensor with a lighter and an ohm meter.  I would scotch bright the end off , test it bone cold for x resistance then heat it up and measure to see if the resistance decreases.

from my DIY link..................meant for fox bodies but concept is probably the same for the 4.6.

ECT sensor test feeds the computer
Resistance test pin to pin of the sensor (this is a variable resister proportional to temperature including outside air temp if the motor is cold)
at 50degF=58K ohms
at 65degF=40K ohms
at 180degF=3.6K ohms
at 220degF=1.8K ohms

next clean the end of the sensor with scotch brite ect and retest
if high temps persist, replace coolant temp sensor and ECT as a matched set.
if that does not work, start looking at your coolant system parts.
----------------------
ACT sensor test ,,,feeds the computer
Resistance test pin to pin of the sensor (this is a variable resister proportional to temperature including outside air temp if the motor is cold)
at 50degF=58K ohms
at 65degF=40K ohms
at 180degF=3.6K ohms
at 220degF=1.8K ohms
=============================

Coolant...

Reply #22
Quote from: jcassity;332977

You have not mentioned coolant over flowing or any coolant noises after you turn off the engine.

=============================

What would this indicate?
Mike

Coolant...

Reply #23
Quote from: mcb82gt;333120
What would this indicate?

both instances would be verificable indications that there is an "actual" overheating event taking place.  Coupled with the guage indications, its just another thing you would use to confirm the system is really overheating and not just a false indication due to a bad temp sensor or cluster problem with the IVR.