Skip to main content
Topic: now THAT was an adrenaline rush! (Read 2542 times) previous topic - next topic

now THAT was an adrenaline rush!

:shoothead

and for how i removed them.......

Disclaimer:
    if you live by the seat of your pants, this STILL may not be for you! exercise extreme caution. you are about to remove a spring with a lot of tension.

with that said, proceed to the removal process.
step 1:
    using a pry bar and a flat head screwdriver. pry against the edge of the spring using the pry bar. the strut stud was a good pivot point. now once you have created a gap between the spring and pin, quickly shove the flat head screwdriver underneath the spring and then over the top of the bracket.

you are now done with the pry bar.

step 2:
  repent sins

step 3:
  with your soul now cleansed, step to the side of the car. the screwdriver should be facing you. using a LONG piece of pipe, or another screwdriver/pry bar, and a hammer. strike the top of the spring to slide it off toward the handle of the screwdriver. the spring will not go far, especially if working on the drvier side. once removed on the driver side, you will now need to unbolt the wiper motor, and twist it slightly to remove the spring completely.
step 4:
  you are now done! give yourself a pat on the back.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #1
you sir, are one brave dude
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #2
But Why??
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
Quote from: tbirdscott;106285
But Why??

if you have a fiberglass hood, the stock springs will be too strong for it. you'll wind up cracking or breaking the hood.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #4
Heh...now let's see you put them back on. ;)

I did what you did, once, off the car...and I was in fear of losing a finger. That sure takes some cojones to remove them on the car.

Reply #5
f I ever had to remove the springs I'd simply heat em with a torch (off the car) to relieve the spring tension. Once the metal turns red it doesn't have any more springiness (and doesn't regain it when it cools, so the springs would be garbage, but once they're off they're garbage anyway). Of course the hinge would end up needing paint, but it'd be a helluva lot safer than prying 'em off under tension...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
I wonder carm if you could get that just right and just lower the tension so that it would still hold a fiberglass hood up.
One 88

Reply #7
thats what cheap gas struts are for...
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #8
Quote from: gumby;106328
thats what cheap gas struts are for...

...Or a broom handle :hick:

Claude: I dunno if that would work or not, seeing as I've never seen a glass hood in person, so I don't know how strong they are in the hinge area
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
How to injure your self 101:pbb:
Nice how-to post though.

Reply #10
Or pick up some earlier hinges...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
Or pick up some earlier hinges...

BINGO. Earlier, non-spring loaded hinges + Mark VII bolt-on spring mechanism = joy for fiberglass hoods.

Reply #12
When I opened this, the first thing I saw was those 2 springs.......I figured you sent one or both flying pretty far hence the adrenaline rush.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
or you can just undo that little clip on that arm and the relieves the tension so the hood can go up and down and then you can yse it as a prop to hold the hoood up like i did

Reply #14
Quote from: 87badbird2613;106373
or you can just undo that little clip on that arm and the relieves the tension so the hood can go up and down and then you can yse it as a prop to hold the hoood up like i did

yup, that was pretty easy. i then cut the entire spring section off and ground it down smooth and am using a prop rod untill i get some shocks for a newer mustang hood later on.