Skip to main content
Topic: Tachometer (Read 3424 times) previous topic - next topic

Tachometer

So I've decided to look into buying a tach for the cat, but im not the worlds biggest fan of those huge honda barrels they bolt to the steering column, and I was wondering what you guys had done in the way of adding one in. I know some of the birds came with them stock but Im not all that sure of the rest of the cougars. Ive thought of going the old muscle car way and putting one down by my right leg area in the tray at the base of my center console, or (this may fall under the title of stupid things admitted to :hick: ) maybe a hood mounted tach like the old firebirds and GTO's.
Thoughts...suggestions...ideas...pics of your work?
thanks
1974 Cougar XR7, 351 C, stock. white leather.
1983 Coug' LS-XR7-1/ A/c Delete, Edlebrock Intake, Holley 600 4bbl, Custom Badging, True dual Glasspacks
1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 3.8L bone stock winter beater, in Gold

Tachometer

Reply #1
I like the one that came with the full digital cluster, but it seems like it's relatively hard to swap a base cluster to a full digital one. I'm assuming you have the base cluster, with the digital speedo, gauges for temp and gas.

Tachometer

Reply #2
yeah, mines really oldschool, buttstuffog guages all round. when im below 30 the speedo needle bounces like its on a trampoline
1983 Coug' LS-XR7-1/ A/c Delete, Edlebrock Intake, Holley 600 4bbl, Custom Badging, True dual Glasspacks

Tachometer

Reply #3
Show a pic of your dash.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Tachometer

Reply #4
Quote from: Coldcougar;348262
when im below 30 the speedo needle bounces like its on a trampoline
hmm i know theres a fix for this but i dont know what it is, every ford i've ever had has done this lol.
I'm the forum asshole, put on your big boy pants and deal with it.  :flip:

Tachometer

Reply #5
heres a general pic:

and an up close of just the guages

Tachometer

Reply #6
i know i saw a thread talking about adding a tach to a base cluster(buttstuffog) car.
couldve swore it went something like getting one from a van and putting it where the clock goes. not unlike the one in the pre production pics in the general tbird/cougar area.
dont know if the turbocoupe one would work for you.
also, if i can recall the bouncing speedo problem had something to do with the inside of the cable melting and stetching.

personally, i think those flashy barrel looking ones are ricey.
i like the old buttstuffog cluster over the digital one, base or not.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Tachometer

Reply #7
heres my fix:

its a great spot and its not too flashy. I would reccommend a 2 7/8" instead of 2 1/16" though. this ones too small. But its easy to install and easily switches for 4, 6, and 8 cyl. It does require you too have big enough balls to screw into your a pillar though....

Sorry, these are old pics I don't really have a good one of it and its too dark to get one right now.

--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Tachometer

Reply #8
Quote from: sarjxxx;348368
heres my fix:

I have that same tach in my pickup except for it is white faced
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Tachometer

Reply #9
I used to have one very simmilar to that SunPro one in my '85, might have been the same thing. I took the mounting bracket off and pulled the wires behind the dash in that corner, moved the tach to the corner up against the glass. I seem to think I used a small piece of velcro to keep it from wiggling, but it looked pretty decent and didn't require I put any extra holes in the car.
1985 T'Bird 5.0
1987 Cougar 3.8
1992 T'bird Sport 5.0 HO

Tachometer

Reply #10
if your speedometer is bouncing around the cable needs to be greased,