Skip to main content
Topic: Where are you buying your heater cores at? (Read 3941 times) previous topic - next topic

Where are you buying your heater cores at?

Where is everyone buying their heater cores at?

Ford wants $160 for one....

The one from AZ doesn't fit, the tubes are spaced too far apart and even if you bend it over, it still rubs the firewall. I can't imagine aluminum lasting long rubbing against steel.

The one from Advanced is a about an inch too short (see picture below).

In the picture is three heater cores. The center core is the factory core, the left core is the short core from Advanced, and the one on the right is from AZ and its tubes are too far apart to fit through the firewall hole.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee367/T-BirdX3/photobucket-32509-1326765083117.jpg
...and there was light!

Reply #1
I have a therory that the aluminum ones go bad quicker then the copper/brass ones. Their tubes are also smaller, and probably clogg easier.

The atc(automatic tempeture control) and mtc are different, as are the cores for certain years. Every aluminum autozone I have used went bad in about a year. I also never ran a restrictor or ran a copper/brass one for more then a year.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Dont buy one from Advance or Autozone. I got one from Advance and it went bad in less than a month. I ordered an aluminum core that after one year is doing ok.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #3
I bought one at CAP. I don't have the slip here at my apart., but It fit without a problem. The short one will probably be okay.

Reply #4
Quote from: jpc647;377891
I bought one at CAP. I don't have the slip here at my apart., but It fit without a problem. The short one will probably be okay.

Did you say apartment like you moved? Who's watching the Olds?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #5
If they are slightly too small, it should come with a foam seal to go around it, and there is a large rubber one.

Specter is the only maker for all of the aftermarket ones, so buy it where it is cheapest. Every aftermarket one I have seen is just re-branded.

Use a restrictor. I never have, but I used my heater extensively in winter, and never during summer. I have also only gotten the aluminum one.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
Motorcraft and use a restrictor.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Quote from: Bruce M;377890
Dont buy one from Advance or Autozone. I got one from Advance and it went bad in less than a month. I ordered an aluminum core that after one year is doing ok.

The ones that come from Advanced and AZ are aluminum... The one that you ordered where did you order it from?

Quote from: Haystack;377895
If they are slightly too small, it should come with a foam seal to go around it, and there is a large rubber one.

Specter is the only maker for all of the aftermarket ones, so buy it where it is cheapest. Every aftermarket one I have seen is just re-branded.

Use a restrictor. I never have, but I used my heater extensively in winter, and never during summer. I have also only gotten the aluminum one.

If you look closely at the picture you will notice that the aluminum cores are completely different. The one is almost an inch to short, which means that the core will be supported by the tubes instead of the end tanks.

Quote from: thunderjet302;377907
Motorcraft and use a restrictor.

Where are you buying your Motocraft cores at, and how much are you paying for them? The Ford dealer here wants $160 for a core, that is extremely overpriced IMHO!
...and there was light!

Reply #8
The one I put in about 5 or so years ago came from O'Reilly auto.  At the time I had serious misgivings about it because I was afraid it wouldn't last.  But so far it seems to be doing fine.  And from what I remember it was identical to the original, but my memory isn't totally reliable for something that long ago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Quote from: T-BirdX3;377920
The ones that come from Advanced and AZ are aluminum... The one that you ordered where did you order it from?

If you look closely at the picture you will notice that the aluminum cores are completely different. The one is almost an inch to short, which means that the core will be supported by the tubes instead of the end tanks.

Where are you buying your Motocraft cores at, and how much are you paying for them? The Ford dealer here wants $160 for a core, that is extremely overpriced IMHO!

The heater core I received was a bit too small too, but it came with a foam seal and instructions saying to wrap it around the core. Every one except for the brass/copper one I have done came with a different sized heater core, and different sized foam or rubber seal to go around it. Also, if they aren't asking you abut electric or manual heater, you are getting the wrong one.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?3522-Replacement-Motorcraft-heater-core-doesn-t-fit-correctly...

There are many many threads about it. The motorcraft one is discountinued, an will get more expensive until it isn't avaliable anymore.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
I put a Advance Auto heater core in my car in 2005 and had no issues at all with fitment.  So far no leaks or other problems.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #11
I have also received both aluminium and brass/copper cores from orileys, autozone and napa. I've done about 8 of these, all of the aluminim ones went out right near a year and all the brass ones were wrecked or junked before the end of the year.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #12
A quick search on Rock Auto:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1140185&parttype=6864

At least the photos are a good point of reference.
Didn't know what year/engine you had, nor if you had A/C, and ATC or manual.

Ford does go through spurts where they'll make a batch of new heater cores, they go out and get bought, and when that batch starts to dry up the price shoots upward. Quite a few times, people have mentioned not being able to buy the Ford part at all, as it's out of stock. Eventually (several times a year) they do get replenished though. Ford has generally been pretty good about keeping the heater cores produced...probably because they cross-reference with a Mustang (non-ATC cars).

Reply #13
I check Rockauto before I go anywhere....most of the new parts on my car are from there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
I ordered it from a local mom and pop store. I cant remember the brand.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.