Skip to main content
Topic: Subframe connectors, build, buy, advice? (Read 3114 times) previous topic - next topic

Subframe connectors, build, buy, advice?

Hello everyone! 

As im digging deeper into my car, and planning my moves for upgrades so i can do it all in one big push, I am thinking that subrame connectors need to be put on the car.  My 87 T will mostly serve as a fun, not quite daily driver, and not going to make tons of horsepower, but there are two reasons i am thinking subframe connectors are gonna have to be needed.

1) I've always owned full frame cars until the last year and a half.  I'm used to having the beef under there.

2) i like autocross racing, and i plan to occasionally run the T around the track. 

so, i'm up for suggestions , for pictures, for smart remarks, what's the best route to go?  do i buy them somewhere?  do i fire up the plasma and the wire welder and build them? if i'm building, does anyone have pics of what they have built, so i can copy their designs?

Thanks everyone for the input.  i promise, I'll be tearing into the car soon, just a few more projects to go beforehand...

Reply #2
I basically have what ammount to a under car design that looks like the Maximum Motorsports pieces. They have worked fine for me. Car feels solid and more planted with the subframe connectors.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #3
Quote from: bodyman;464677
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?33763-My-85-TBird/page4

Link to mine, based off of global West design.

If you don’t mind cutting floor pans  thru the floor sub frame connectors are most likely stronger, there are some here that have done them, jcassity and Daminc come to mind.

I'm liking these designs, what size and wall thickness did you use, if you remember?

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;464681
I basically have what ammount to a under car design that looks like the Maximum Motorsports pieces. They have worked fine for me. Car feels solid and more planted with the subframe connectors.

i'll check on MM site, see what they look like

Reply #6
I'm liking these designs, what size and wall thickness did you use, if you remember?

They are 1.75 inch tube .120 wall thickness.

Are these the ones? Anyone used them?

Yes, those are it. Pretty sure Aerocoupe has them or at least something very similar. I never did ask what he thought about them, but looking at his car on here is how I found them.

Reply #7
I was sent plans for these by another member here.

X

I used 2X2 .120, 1X2 .120 & 3/16" plate and some assorted 1/8" plate pieces underneath. I'll get some pics tomorrow of what I did. It's basically a triangulated connector setup with rear seat bulkhead plates. On the Griggs website it says that this setup increases the torsional strength extremely.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #8
Thanks for all the input guys!

Reply #9
Lot's of options.
It's a good idea to also reinforce the seat mounts. The floorpans on these cars are getting old, and have seen a fair amount of flex and stress. Even from just daily street driving.

I posted up CAD files for my old seat braces HERE. They were originally for a "typical" set of under the subframe rail SFC's, but they could be adapted to just about anything.
Another benefit of adding them is they reduce the free-span of the SFC tubes, thus reducing flex.

Another thing to think about adding is a set of "jacking rails". They are effectively just 1" square tubes welded along the inside of the rocker pinch welds. They ad stiffness, as well as giving you a solid point to jack up the car and a good place to put jack stands. You'll have to relocated parking brake cable brackets, but the little bit of extra work is worth it.

If you want to go the extra bit, you can weld braces/supports between the SFCs and the jacking rails.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #10
I have the Global West units on both of my cars as well as the Griggs upper sub frames on both of the cars which are shown in Post #8.  The uppers require some cutting of the floor but stiffen the car up dramatically versus just the lowers.  I can jack the car up on any corner until it is on one wheel and my doors will open and close and maintain their gaps.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #11
I'm a bit confused, where do the upper plates go?

i have a plasma cutter, if tpuppies is what it takes, thats what it takes.

I'll admit, up until recently, I've always had full frame cars, and you can definitely tell the lack of a full frame when driving my red T and my torino.  The torino is going pretty extreme, getting a cage, I really don't feel like pushing the Red T that far, I just want it to feel solid, and have a solid jacking point for when i put the 2 post under it.

Reply #12
PM me your email address and I will send you some info on the uppers.

Reply #13
So check out the installation instructions for a Fox Mustang here:

http://www.griggsracing.com/pdfFiles/MFK1000_pics_compressed.pdf

Only thing different with our cars is the tube is three inches longer (see step 12).  I did not install the ties between the uppers and lowers which you do for a torque arm setup and it also helps tie them together.  My exhaust is completely in the way for a torque arm (3" tailpipes) and the Bird is not a track car just a street creeper.

Reply #14
PM's replied to and info sent.