Skip to main content
Topic: heater blower (Read 1167 times) previous topic - next topic

heater blower

Need to clean out the blower for the heater/air conditioner, any suggestions?

heater blower

Reply #1
When mice filled it so bad no air would flow through it, I had to remove the entire heater box, disassemble and clean it out.

I keep up now by setting up traps inside the car, running the blower periodically to blow junk out, and open the "trap door" below the glove box and stick a skinny extension on my vacuum cleaner (got it originally for cleaning pellet stove) in the blower cage and cleaning as good as I can. I think I have acorn pieces stuck in the squirrel cage, will likely need to pick those out with a skinny screwdriver or those claw things that are used to get bolts etc from tight places they fall into.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

heater blower

Reply #2
If you've done a heater core before, completely removing the blower motor housing isn't too big of a deal. It will still take ya some time, but you can get it all the way right.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

heater blower

Reply #3
Ive often wanted to mod this topic with hardware that makes it easier to remove the blower.  Also, its my belief that there has to be by now with better tech a much more smaller but same cfm solution to this motor physical size.,,  although its not really the blower thats the issue but the location of the mounts up deep in there that is really the issue.

if they were friction clips instead of threaded screws perhaps we would improve the design to do simple PM work.

the 87/88 passanger dash speaker grill comes to mind which integrates this idea.