Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 mystery trouble (Read 3253 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 mystery trouble

Well from time to time people drop off their cars when it has been to several shops. That either threw parts at it or just were stumped. Here is what i found see if you can tell me where the issue is.

1995 5.0 HO 5 speeder with 373 in the tail

Car runs smooth and idles great

Timing 12* BTDC with spout out.

Injectors new and stock.

Plugs wires dizzy and all other tune up parts new. Including a new TFI and DIZZY

Fuel pressure at 43 PSI no vacuum and a brand new 225 Warlbro pump. Brand new fuel filter

Symptoms very boggy and absolutely no power

Cant break the tires loose in first gear by matting the pedal

Codes  181 and idle code 425. Idle below normal Cylinder balance perfect!!!

This car is the slowest stock 5.0 ihave ever driven

Thoughts on why gentlemen ????

Please post what you think is wrong. Then i will post what i found!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #1
Are the cats still on it?  I bought a 3.8 cougar once that wouldn't spin gravel, ended up being plugged cats.

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #2
Years ago I found a bad pcm that wouldn't advanced the timing on accel. Also found on another car  a crushed fuel line that would give good fuel pressure but on accel would drop off because of a fuel flow problem.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #3
Ive heard of computer problems on them.  That would be my guess.
Mike

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #4
Is code 425 ligit?
code 181-- adaptive learned fuel control maxed out due to a lean condition.
I second the crushed fuel line.

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #5
Ok some more info. It is engine related. Even though this car is used every day by the customer to go to work. And it runs great other than a total lack of power. I can drive it a any speed i want and the kicker is it has absolutely no power. But it can be accelerated at any speed just no guts. You guys gave answers and fixes the other shops addressed in vain!!! Your answers were great. And i tested all of them in search of this loss of power. Once again ENGINE RELATED.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #6
Sounds like a plugged cat. My old 83 ad that same symptom. Would go anywhere at any speed just had no grunt. Knocked the cats out and she turned into a completely different animal

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #7
Cats were checked. No back pressure whatsoever. They were changed out to high flow units by another shop in vein. Same trouble.

Remember i said it was ENGINE RELATED !!!

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #8
Quote from: softtouch;417453
Is code 425 ligit?
code 181-- adaptive learned fuel control maxed out due to a lean condition.
I second the crushed fuel line.

SORRY typo Code is 415. Idle adaptive code. Glad you pointed that out Sorry

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #9
Any customer mods to the motor and how many miles?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #10
even though you said the cyl balance was perfect,, that "could" mean they all were within reasonable tolerance of each other...
you didnt post compression numbers .........
so,,,,,
my best guess at this moment being remote like everyone else, the common denominator is the cam is worn too much but not enough to cause residual fuel to wick into the pan or on the 02 sensor.

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #11
I was headed towards bad valve springs or an issue with the timing chain.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #12
yeah i was thinking timing distributor issue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #13
You say engine related, so that rules out fuel,air,ignition,exhaust. It cant be sensors, thats not directly engine related. Im guessing a very warn cam, not opening the valves far enough. The timing chain worn out and making the valvetrain sluggish. Or the timing chain being off a degree. Other than that ill admit that im stumped

5.0 mystery trouble

Reply #14
But he said it idles well, and smooth..

He also said it had 43 pounds with vac line off, so possibly rusted fuel rail is my contribution..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6