Skip to main content
Topic: Common problems that cause AC to not work (Read 1494 times) previous topic - next topic

Common problems that cause AC to not work

Well it is getting rather warm out so I think it is about time I got my AC in my car working. It hasn't worked since I bought the car. All it does is blow hot air. What are some common problems with the AC system that I should look into?

Re: Common problems that cause AC to not work

Reply #1
O-rings leak mainly.
Check for oily residue on all of the connection points.

Reply #2
Well The first thing I would check is to see if the compressor it locked up or not. To do this turn the center section of the the compressor pully. Also check to set if there is any stuff in the system.  to do this take off one of the caps and push the tire like valve in, only for a second though. Also venting the R-12 is illegal so make sure no one see or knows about it.  If there is somthing in the system that is a good sign.  Then check to see if you unplug the pressure switch and jump the connection with a piece of wire does the compressor kick on with the motor running and the A/c turned on.  If those  things check out have it pressure tested to check for leaks. Also if you have leaks you can by the whole system o-ring kit at Oreilly for about $40. If there isn't anything in the system it has all leaked out and needs to get new seals. Also if the compressor doesn't kick on with the pressure switch conection jumped you've got a bad compressor clutch or locked up compressor. Hope this helps sorry about the length
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #3
Quote from: ipsd
Also if you have leaks you can by the whole system o-ring kit at Oreilly for about $40.

If you pay more than $10 for an o-ring kit, you're getting ripped off. Link

Reply #4
My cycling switch was bad on my sled, as well as the W.O.T relay.  You can work magic with a DVOM.
One 88

Reply #5
Another common cause of leaks would be a bad condenser or dryer.  Someone with a leak tester could tell you for sure what the problem is, though.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0