Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement Motorcraft heater core doesn't fit correctly... (Read 2031 times) previous topic - next topic

Replacement Motorcraft heater core doesn't fit correctly...

I've replaced the heater core in my '85 Cougar and '87 Thunderbird. I think I was too rough putting the inlet hose on the '87 and have ruined the core. On both cars, the Ford replacement core didn't fit in perfectly. The core wouldn't sit in the lower portion of the HVAC case correctly and required me to use copious amounts of sealant in both cases to get a good seal.
Has anybody else experienced this?

Re: Replacement Motorcraft heater core doesn't fit correctly...

Reply #1
oh god,, dont say that!!
I have a FoMoCo core new in the box and have not put it in yet. Whats your part number on the box?,, any other details as far as numbers go?
ill compare to mine.

Reply #2
The heater core boxes are very different between cars with ATC and cars without it. Naturally the heater cores then would be different as well. If you have a part number, Jeremy, that would definitely help out. It's possible you got the wrong one somehow.

Reply #3
Hey not to hi-jack  :sorry:  but I need to put another heater core in!! I just did the job like a year ago.... Someone said to buy a motorsport one and I didn't listen..

So don't buy a cheap replacement like I did... cause like someone told me you'll be doing the job again very soon

I Just wanted this post to come up if somebody searches..  :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
Quote from: thunder306
Hey not to hi-jack  :sorry:  but I need to put another heater core in!! I just did the job like a year ago.... Someone said to buy a motorsport one and I didn't listen..

So don't buy a cheap replacement like I did... cause like someone told me you'll be doing the job again very soon

I Just wanted this post to come up if somebody searches..  :D

Great! That might explain why I have to replace it every year. lol. I even bypass it in the summer to prolong the enevitable. I am just about ready to stop buying parts from Autozone/Advanced altogethers.  :yuck:
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #5
Allegedly the Napa part is supposed to be the same as the ford part, if not made by the same manufacturer. It's what mine was replaced with and haven't had a problem yet in 3 some odd years *keeps fingers crossed!*.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #6

Great! That might explain why I have to replace it every year. lol. I even bypass it in the summer to prolong the enevitable. I am just about ready to stop buying parts from Autozone/Advanced altogethers.

The py thing is I have to do this heater core now cause I was going to fix the a/c and once thats fixed I don't want to mess with it again by worrying about getting it sucked out to slip the new core in..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
I don't have the part #s. I replaced the Cougar's heater core 2 years ago and the T-bird's core last year. I bought the cores from two different Ford dealers in two different cities a year apart. The Cougar's core is still holding up.

The core wasn't radically different, just a smidgeon. <1/16" if I remember correctly. There's always a chance I got the ATC core.

Reply #8
well,, if its ford anything,, its gonna have a pn somewhere on it for sure,,,, here is mine,,,,,,,

PN - E9LY 18476 A

vendor or maker name -  VALCO (mexico company)

Made for
Ford Motor Company

--------------------
edit---
sorry,, i should mention the core itself is blank but there is a sticker on the ass end of it so if your sticker is gone,, its a mystery part number.