Skip to main content
Topic: need help, car stalls with AC on (Read 1438 times) previous topic - next topic

need help, car stalls with AC on

I appreciate the assistance I’ve gotten here. I have an 86 Cougar 3.8L TBI, 68,000 miles with auto and air. With recent electrical issues like the car stalling while driving I replaced the TFI which was needed after seeing condition of it. Recently added refrigerant to car and found it leaked over time so I decided this time to add sealer then refrigerant. Sealed leak and air conditioning is working. Now the problem, afterwards I drove had the car and it stalled once in which I waited 5 minutes and the car started and drove without any more problems. The following day I started the car and it idled perfectly and even put on air, normal, in idle without problems. Engine temperature looks good. When charging car with the sealer and refrigerant, the maximum AC position was used with a problem either. With air on normal and the car idling I decided to accelerate the engine which started to accelerate then quickly died. When thinking back the original electrical problems started just after I first charged the system. The car runs generally well but this bizarre electrical problem is now surfacing and has something to do with AC. Also, the throttle sensor looks in new condition.  Any suggestions on troubleshooting ?

Re: need help, car stalls with AC on

Reply #1
pull the codes yourself with a buzzer or a test light.
start there so your not throwing parts at it.

Re: need help, car stalls with AC on

Reply #2
Before you ask how to pull codes, check here:  http://foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=384

If you weren't going to ask, sorry about the intrusion :shoothead
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!