Skip to main content
Topic: 84 svo, adding illuminated entry (Read 1497 times) previous topic - next topic

84 svo, adding illuminated entry

As the title states I would like to add illuminated entry to my SVO. In short when I install the alarm I want the alarm set off when the door handles are pulled.

I know the TC's came with illuminated entry, I have a keyless entry module waiting to go for the project. I just need the door latch switches. It looks like the door latch for the mustang will not accept the switch.

I have been searching for days and can not find any posts or information on interchangeability between the mustang and tbird door latches. I do know that ford has the same part number for the 81-93 mustangs and I am sure later on they came with illuminated entry.

So enough of me typing, does anybody know if the tbird latch would work in a mustang? If so I could take the tbird latch and switch, install and be all set. Any information would be greatly appreciated since door latches don't seem to be a real popular topic.

Reply #1
First, I don't know the answer to your question, but somebody will step up and help you. 

More importantly...wait...you have an SVO?

Post some pics, man!!!

In '84, I was shopping for a Mustang.  The SVO had just come out and my dealer had three of them.  I wanted one so friggin' bad, but they were 17 grand - a lot of money in 1984.  I ended up with a black '84 GT. I loved my GT, but if I ever find the right SVO...it's a done deal.

Reply #2
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/reference/parts.html

Here it says all fox metal door handles are swappable. Good luck.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Thanks for the reply's so far. It's not the door handle I need, the switch is in the door latch. I can not for the life of me find replacement door latches for a tbird! There are many repros for the mustangs though. So if you own a tbird your SOL if you need one? Or can you use a mustang latch and call it a day? I called a guy I know that works in the ford parts dept and said the tbird and mustang latches have totally different part numbers. If I can find a cheap set of tbird latches maybe I'll just try them to see if they fit.

Oh and pix for those who are interested.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560523909dYGHHu

Reply #4
I dont have any answers for you ,,,,but those pics sure make me miss my old SVO
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
I went through all 14 pages of pictures.  I'm going to be looking for one at Fords at Carlisle.