Skip to main content
Topic: extractor kit? (Read 1845 times) previous topic - next topic

extractor kit?

I borrowed an extractor kit from my friend, he says all you have to do is drill in the bolt, and then drill back out and the bolt should come out. Well I tried it and it won't drill in, i tried for a good 5 mins straight. It made a tiny hole thats about it. Anyone got any ideas? Maybe im doing it wrong im not sure, but that is what he told me how it works. HELP PLEASE, I need to get this bolt out.

Re: extractor kit?

Reply #1
Use a better drill bit.  No bolt should take 5 mins.  Your bit is shot......
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
If you oil the bit perodically it won't dull as fast. 

Also, not ment as an insult, is it by change a reverse drill bit (also called an "easy out").  If so you must drill counter-clockwise (reverse)

Reply #3
Ahh yes almost forgot that... good call
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
It might help to spray something like liquid wrench on the broken bolt and let it sit for a little while. The stuff will work it's way down into the threads and make the bolt a little easier to back out. Not as much friction working against you.

Reply #5
If it a grade 5 or better bolt, you will be there for days with a regular drill bit. Use a "truebite" carbide bit, and a high speed drill (10,000 rpm or higher) to drill the hole, then soak with wd-40 and use an ez-out. If it is really stubborn and the area permits the use of a small torch, heat the surrounding area (not the bolt) to cherry red, and then use the ez-out, works every time, even on extremly rusted bolts. I will post a link to a good website if I can find it.