Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0/5.8 A/C hose routing (Read 1824 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0/5.8 A/C hose routing

I am about to retrofit the A/C on my 3.8 with an eye towards the future. If I use the 5.0 hoses I shouldn't have to buy new ones and blow $200 when I swap in a 5.8L. I've seen two different discharge hose designs and was wondering what the difference is.

I can see the route of the discharge hose in the first picture, but I can't see where the hose goes off to in the second picture after it hits the ler. Any help/detailed pictures?

Re: 5.5/5.8 A/C hose routing

Reply #1
The short one that runs by the distributor is a Mustang/LSC setup. The line that runs down by the P/S pump, across the lower radiator support and up to the condenser is the Bird/Coug version. Also I believe yo have to use the correct compressor mount for the lines. The Stang type leans the comp in toward the dist slightly, while the Bird mount stands it straight up...

Reply #2
Is the Tbird/Cougar discharge hard-line all the way?

Reply #3
nope it's got 2 rubber sections down near the bottom  of the rad.

Reply #4
Quote from: JeremyB
Is the Tbird/Cougar discharge hard-line all the way?

No its rubber just below the P/S pump over to the radiator support, with metal across the support, and soft again from the radiator support up to the cond... I'm using my original... Was on national back order when I reinst my A/C three years ago... May be lucky to find one of the Bird type.

Reply #5
Partsamerica doesn't even list a discharge hose for the 5.0 Tbird.

Chilton and Helm show the 3.8 FS6 tilted.  Then again, Helm shows the 5.0 as being tilted too (for '85). I knew I should have taken pictures at the junkyard. The Mustang discharge hose might run into my upper radiator hose and distributor. Looks like the only way to see is to buy one and test fit it.