Skip to main content
Topic: Remove back of seat (Read 927 times) previous topic - next topic

Remove back of seat

I was browsing NATO and saw that many have the same issue with their seats leaning that I do.  Some members have taken the back of their seat off, unzipped something, took it apart, and re-welded the seat.

Is this possible with the base model seats?  (I would do some digging, but I'm having some work done on my brakes.  The master needs warrantied out)
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Remove back of seat

Reply #1
well, an  85 turbo coupe would be about the same as your car... I would assume the seat frames are the same.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Remove back of seat

Reply #2
For anybody else needing to do the same thing, here is a response from a guy on the NATO board:

"Remove the star bolts and the back of the seat will seperate from the seat bottom you should find the zipper. To remove the headrest you pull the seat upholstery about 3/4 of the way up or until you see the dark metal catch that retains it; rotate the catch and pull the headrest out. There are also two heavy wires that are held by hogrings that need to be removed before the upholstery can be removed. As you remove the material keep pulling it so that it is inside out when removed. Once you start taking it apart you will see what I am talking about. The foam just lifts off the frame or the frame pulls out of the foam. Just be on the lookout for any hogrings; they can be opened up with pliers and a screw driver. You can use regular pliers to squeeze them closed when outting it all back together. The frame can be welded with a mig. If you keep the upholstery inside out installation is much easier. I used to repair upholstery at a furniture store, it ain't rocket science, the first time you tackle it is the hardest. I have also repaired a couple of seats with "the lean." Go for it.  "
===85BIRD===

Remove back of seat

Reply #3
A few notes to that:

- The part of the seat back that is closest to the center of the car (armrest/console) will have the single Torx bolt.

- The part of the seat back that is closest to the door will have three bolts that keep the latch attached. You need to remove the bolts on the upper seat back part before it will be free to come out. It's self explanatory...I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that you just need to remove that one Torx bolt and that's it. You still have to deal with the other side. :) To get to the latch you'll need to remove the plastic side cover (small Phillips screws).

- There will probably be a few hogs rings holding the material in a few spots. Every seat cover that I've ever removed (and that = A LOT) had a least a couple. Easy to remove with hogs ring pliers (if you have them) or needlenose pliers (if you don't). Also easy to imbed themselves into your skin...be careful.

Remove back of seat

Reply #4
Thanks, E.  I appreciate the additional information!!

You da man.

Quote from: EricCoolCats;225445
A few notes to that:

- The part of the seat back that is closest to the center of the car (armrest/console) will have the single Torx bolt.

- The part of the seat back that is closest to the door will have three bolts that keep the latch attached. You need to remove the bolts on the upper seat back part before it will be free to come out. It's self explanatory...I just didn't want anyone to get the impression that you just need to remove that one Torx bolt and that's it. You still have to deal with the other side. :) To get to the latch you'll need to remove the plastic side cover (small Phillips screws).

- There will probably be a few hogs rings holding the material in a few spots. Every seat cover that I've ever removed (and that = A LOT) had a least a couple. Easy to remove with hogs ring pliers (if you have them) or needlenose pliers (if you don't). Also easy to imbed themselves into your skin...be careful.
===85BIRD===