Skip to main content
Topic: Stang' cat back question.... Again... (Read 1719 times) previous topic - next topic

Stang' cat back question.... Again...

Ok, just for absolute clarity, you can use a stang ( gt or Lx, I forget) exhaust on a bird but you have to extend before the rear end 13" then add alittle on the tips too? I want them to dump before the rear bumper, but not exactly after her rear too. A freind is doing work to his Stang' in the spring and I was offered any parts not used, and I will not turn down a free experiment. I know this has been asked over a million times but I'm in school and for what ever reason, search is blocked here. Thanks

Reply #1
CAT-BACK SYSTEM
When purchasing your cat-back Mustang exhaust system, you're confronted by a few choices, and most of the time it usually revolves around how much cash is in your pocket (or how much you got left to charge stuff on your credit card). For all practical purposes, it is not wise to reuse an old Mustang exhaust, no matter how tempting. You're much better off in the long run with a new system. Besides, there's nothing like putting on brand new parts. So at the very least, you should purchase an aluminized system. These are the cheaper of the two kinds of kits, and provided you don't bang up the pipes too bad, they're good for roughly 7-10 years of rust-corrosion resistance. Not a bad investment at all, although you'll probably have to put new lers on every 2 or 3 years. Some of the more popular brands are Flowmaster, Dynomax/Walker, and Thrush. Each kit will fit very differently, but all do the same exact job. On the other end of the spectrum, there is the stainless steel exhaust kit. The most widely known stainless kit is made by Borla, although there are a few others coming into the picture now. Now these kits are really wicked and install like a dream, but they're frightfully expensive, and usually out of the reach of most people. However, the trade-off is that they will never rust. It's quite literally the last exhaust system you'll ever buy for the car. It is YOUR decision as to which kind of kit to purchase. My only aim here is to help you prepare for the installation of any exhaust kit, regardless of the metal type. Just remember, you definitely pay for quality with exhaust kits. Oh yes, don't forget to order your kit for a 1987-93 Mustang. If you want turn down tips to clear a ground effects kit, get the kit made for a GT. If you want straight pipes out the back, or wish to add your own exhaust tips, order the kit for an LX.

In general, it's recommended that you buy a 2 1/2" system (over a 2 1/4" system, unless your pocketbook or wife tells you otherwise). They are usually the same price, but the larger system will greatly benefit your engine. Seems that most Ford cams can usually use a bit of help on the exhaust side, so this will help your motor by decreasing backpressure. You will also notice slightly improved fuel economy and of course, that awesome sound. It may also be worth your while to invest in a Mustang dual exhaust hanger kit, available from aftermarket companies. This will provide most of what you'll need to hang up the new system (hangers, rubber bushings, etc.). Now since our cars have quite a bit more body after the rear axle than a Mustang, the tailpipes may need to be lengthened a bit around the fuel tank. This depends upon if you really want them to look good or not. If you're not really concerned about the looks, then a shorter tailpipe won't hurt you a bit. The LX tailpipes are generally longer than the GT pipes.
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/50dualexhaust.html
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #2
I have never used the pass side pipes, but have bolted up driver side take-offs from Mustangs several times.  I took a driver pipe from a '96 Cobra and hung it under my '85 Anny.  Both hangers were in the same spot. 

I needed to add some before the ler and of course to the end as well.  The 13" is to the end AFTER the rear axle.

On a pass side, barring any gas tank shenannigans, the pipe should fit, but your fuel pump/filter will be in the way and you will have to add hangers.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #3
So what is the cut off year for tailpipes? I have right now is the Y pipe, then a "purple randy" Glaspack from flowtech. Even as a single exhaust, I need a tailpipe. Mine is rusted through in 3 places. Chuck, you said you used a 96 cobra, so how new can you go on exhaust? Some fab work is ok, but I don't wana build from scratch. I have access to a welder and cutting tools but nothing to bend. Is it cheaper/eaiser to JY parts/build one or buy new and adapt?

Reply #4
Technically everything up to '04 should fit. I had '00 Mustang tailpipes on my old '90 Mustang. However the hangers will be different.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #5
You can "hang" pipes anywhere you want right, as long as you can weld them inplace?

Reply #6
The hangers on the '98+ cars are different.  Until then they were in the same location at the side on the frame, in '98 they switched to a hanger closer to the end of the pipe near the bumper.  You can always cut that one off.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #7
Ok, so within reason, I can use a fox-newer exahust( say 98) from the cat back. And for a tailpipe for now, any driver side tail? Now another random bit, what is the stock size of a stang exhaust? Mine is kinda peiced togather, but it's Manifolds, Gutted Y ( 2 1/2" end maybe), then pipe to match that to the Glasspack, then a wraping clamp to the factory 2"? tailpipe.

Reply #8
I'll be having a set of those.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
If you're going to do your exhaust do it right. Get headers, a H-pipe, and the tail pipes and lers. Trying to adapt the tail to the y-pipe is a pain and really not worth it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
Well, I need something now. I guess I can run the glasspack on it's own. The rest should be coming up soon

Reply #11
What size tailpipes did a 88 5spd TC have from the factory?

Reply #12
Not a clue. A guess is the same 2" I have on mine. 2 1/4 maybe

Reply #13
Quote from: TucanSam;128185
What size tailpipes did a 88 5spd TC have from the factory?

Tiny...mine looked like about 2" when I pulled them off, though I think they were parts store replacements. At any rate they were 2" or maybe smaller through the bends.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #14
Stock dual tc, was from elbow down 2 1/2, to cat, from cat was like 2 inch to ler, and 2 inch out it was a horrid mix matched set up
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07