Skip to main content
Topic: Thermostat... (Read 2160 times) previous topic - next topic

Thermostat...

My anterior engine never has a T-stat, and when i blew it ill supposed to put one in the newer engine. But that day never has come, and all the time i never used a Thermostat (i get pooooor mileage when cold and in very few cases the car raises a normal temp in summer) Only when im cruising for some time ill get normal temp. I want a better fuel economy and the question is , can i put personally  the Thermostat in my engine ? its a hard job ? how many dollars it cost ? thank you....

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Re: Thermostat...

Reply #1
A thermostat and gasket should cost less than $20, at least here in USD.  The job isn't too hard at all, especially on the 3.8.  It's been a while since I've done a thermostat on a 3.8 so those guys will chime in with more advice.

Reply #2
I just partially drained the radiator, removed the hose, unbolted the housing, sed off the old gasket, made sure the surfaces were clean without getting any of it inside the engine, put the new thermostat and gasket in place, and reversed the process. Really wasn't hard to do.

The thermostat now works TOO well, and I may have to replace it for the winter. With the flex fan and the 180 degree thermostat, the engine almost never gets past 180 degrees. From what I gather, that isn't the best thing for an EEC-equipped vehicle. But that's no fault of the thermostat installation, just the fan in front of it. :D I think it did get past 180 without the flex fan.

While you're changing thermostats, it might be a good idea to go around and tighten hose clamps as well. I originally changed thermostats because I thought it was leaking around the gasket, (the built up sludge on the front of the engine was wet right by the thermostat) and figured I'd get a 180 in there while dealing with the leak. That didn't clear up the leak, but tightening the hose clamps up all around the engine compartment pretty much got it. Amusingly, that sludge area still looks wet, but I'm not losing any water.

Reply #3
180 degrees is too cool for a modern engine. We used 180 thermostats way back when we used plain water for a coolent in a non pressurized system.

The specs for these cars is: The thermostat should start to open between 193 and 200 degrees and be fully open at 221 degrees.

Reply #4
Tell that to my motor on a hot July day as I sit in traffic on the L.I.E. moving 1 mile in 45 minutes.  Car would run like dog poo on hot days with the old stat.  Runs perfect in all weather with the 180.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
Tell that to my motor on a hot July day as I sit in traffic on the L.I.E. moving 1 mile in 45 minutes.  Car would run like dog poo on hot days with the old stat.  Runs perfect in all weather with the 180.

:iagree:

Reply #6
:iagree:  (aswell)

I've ran many 180* t-stats up here in EEC-IV cars.  So down in mexico this guy should be just fine.

One you use 160* (the type made for the old carbbed big blocks) or colder you run into trouble with fuel injection because the computer will not go into closed loop.

Reply #7
im trying to connect the dots here.

very poor gas mileage...........      .....no t-stat

I highly doubt your engine is getting poor gas mileage due to running with no t-stat.  Sure it makes a difference but measureale to your wallet,
id say your prolbem is elsewhere.

what kind of engine do you have exactly?

are you the one with a carb'd 6 cyl?