Skip to main content
Topic: >>Mustang Rear Shock Install w/ Pics (Read 14170 times) previous topic - next topic

>>Mustang Rear Shock Install w/ Pics

***Warning Do This Modification at YOUR own Risk!!!***

Ok, as most of you know the Mustang shocks are too short to install on our cars. Well, by flipping the lower shock mount on the rear axle you can gain a couple inches to mount them. I have only used Bullitt Tokicos, but I can't see why any other year wouldn't work. Anyone? Anyhoos, not going to go into detail of how to remove the shock and just cut to the chase.

>>Remove the shock mount.
>>Enlarge the opening where the mount hooks into to accept the threaded portion of the shock mount. I used an 3/8 drill bit and a dremel burr.
>>Install the shock mount upside down with threaded part into the enlarged hole and hook end into the lower opening.
>>Install nut onto shock mount but do not tighten yet.
>>Install shock... but do not tighten bottom bolt all the way yet.
>>Tighten down the nut onto the shock mount... will take awhile, unless your control arms are off you will only be able to fit an open end wrench in there. BE SURE TO MAKE IT TIGHT OR IT WILL LOOSEN!!!
>>Torque all bolts.
>>You know the rest. ^_^

PICS!!!

2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Re: >>Mustang Rear Shock Install w/ Pics

Reply #1
hmmmm, interesting

something i thought about when i was in a local autoparts store, they actually sell shock lengthening bolt things...there they thread onto the shock shaft, then have about a 2" spacer, then the threaded portion, would be very easy to make
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Yeah, i thought about buying those too, but one day i want to get Illumina's... and that will surely pose a problem. ^_^
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #3
That should pose no problems as long as the nut stays tight.  Some LocTite would help too.  It still winds up about 1" shy of the actual difference, but if the car is lowered slightly you should be good.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
time to find some take-offs withint the next few months then...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Cool now I can use Koni adjustibles on the rear......yah! :banana:

Reply #6
Sniff, sniff..... hmmmmm. Do I smell a "sticky"? :D
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #7
ya dame skippy, this should be a sticky.

Reply #8
Quote from: Chuck W
That should pose no problems as long as the nut stays tight.  Some LocTite would help too.  It still winds up about 1" shy of the actual difference, but if the car is lowered slightly you should be good.

It sure would be nice if an enterprising guy with suspension and fabrication experience would make up a set of brackets that used two bolts, made up that extra inch, and would sell them to the rest of us  :grinno:

I would probably add a couple of welds to them as well. 

Bob Myers

Reply #9
Quote from: martin0660
It sure would be nice if an enterprising guy with suspension and fabrication experience would make up a set of brackets that used two bolts, made up that extra inch, and would sell them to the rest of us  :grinno:

I would probably add a couple of welds to them as well. 

Bob Myers

;)

... maybe.

But then there will be all these folks who will say "Why do I need to buy that when I can just drill a hole and tun this one around?"  :giggle:

Reply #10
Bringing this back, I was wondering (I'm sure Chuck will be the one answering as usual) if losing the suspension travel is an issue when doing this and going to Mustang shocks.  Was the extra suspension travel just for carrying heavy loads in the Tbird and maintaining ride comfort?
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #11
Actually, when doing this mod, you really don't lose much travel, if any at all. The difference is that the Tbird shocks were almost 3" longer at full extension (and compression) than the Mustang counterparts.  There wasn't much more overall travel in the Tbird shocks v/s the Mustang

You physically can't bolt up Mustang shocks in the stock position without compressing the suspension a great deal.  What you are then left with is a rear axle that does not droop at all....not a very good thing.

When you flip the mounting bracket around you basically negate most of that 3" length difference.

Not sure why Ford did what they did.  The Fairmonts use the same shocks as a Mustang (as well as control arms), but they have a wheel base that's longer than the Tbirds (105" vs 104.4") *shrug*, who knows.

Reply #12
I hope my adjustable rear shocks from Competition Engineering fit...they list the same part number for all fox body cars.  I haven't looked at them for a few months...probably have spacers or something...I vaguely remember the stud mount being rediculously long.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #13
Hmm, that is weird, you'd think they'd have more travel but the shock just has longer pick up points.  Now I have a whole other set of choices for shocks, great, more choices, not always a good thing, it means I might spend more money.
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #14
Oh, and I don't remember whether the SN95 shocks were a bit longer than fox shocks or not?  I assume we still want to use the SN95 shocks when doing the flipped axle mounts?
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti