Skip to main content
Topic: power window fix?? (Read 9725 times) previous topic - next topic

power window fix??

Any one have a cure for the doorglass clips comming off?  I have tried two part epoxy and it worked for a couple weeks but now both windows are ooc again.

Re: power window fix??

Reply #1
Same here, i have the exact same problem with my tinted pass window right now.
I've got a buudy that does glass for a living,he said the urethane he uses to install windsheilds should be a perminent fix but i have yet to try it.
Gonna give it a shot when it gets a little warmer.

Reply #2
thanks Dominator,  let us know the brand name or exactly what kind of epoxy it is.  I went to the auto glass place and he said he doesnt stock it any more as he has to get it in bulk and rarely used it.  He suggested the two part expoxy from the part store but that only worked a little while.  I have talked to a couple previous bird owners and this seems to be a common problem.  I know someone out there has found a fix.  If it is new glass anyone know how much they cost these days?

Reply #4
a word of advise when using urithane on the clips, get glass primer first to help better adhesion. you can get it at most auto stores or go to the local glass shop and get some

Reply #5
I bought a product at Hobby Lobby called "GOOP",and it's held strong for a year and a half so far,plus,it's only about $3.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
Surprising that the glass place told you they couldn't help you?
My buddy that does windshields has all the right primers and industrial grade urethane,(not sure if you can buy his stuff over the counter though,but i'll let you guys know what brand it ti is) to adheir to glass so i figure,some beer and a nice warm day should fix er up.
If they use this stuff to secure windshields into a car i'm sure if applied correctly it will be stronger than factory.

Reply #7
plain old silicone for me. it usually lasts a couple years then your back in there so its not too bad.  Yep, goop is pretty good stuff as well.  If you adventurous, try gorilla glue.

Reply #8
I've used plain old RTV sicilone and not had any problem, I do let it set it set up a couple of days before i use the window.

Usually the clips pull off because the window is binding, so here are a couple of fixes. IF the felt guides in the tracks are in good cond, spray them generously with some NAPA sicilone(only brand I know that works and doesn't make a big mess, we use it to lube under treadmill belts). Also the felt wears off the weather strip on the outside of the glass, causing the glass to drag on the rubber underneath. Easy fix here, just wax the glass every month or so and you'll be suprised how smoothly it moves again...

Reply #9
well first make sure your track isnt bent, or theirs something stuck in it that let it fall out in the first place. if that window slides free, all the clips do is hold it from going out and in while the sizors push it up, then gravity lets it come down so all the adheasive has to do is help a little.

now if you got something stuck in their like i had, i went threw every industrial adheasive their was before i realized the track was bent, and i had alot of dirt in the one side. the window would get pinched in part of the one side, and the sizors would keep going down and rip it rite the hell out. finaly i realized it and fixed it.

Reply #10
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Also the felt wears off the weather strip on the outside of the glass, causing the glass to drag on the rubber underneath.

the horizontal rubber bottom flap on the outside?  I didnt know there was felt intended for there. Learn something new every day.

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity
the horizontal rubber bottom flap on the outside?  I didnt know there was felt intended for there. Learn something new every day.

Yep....

Reply #12
Both of my driver's side window clips had one of the flat sides break off, so glue was not really an option.  Local glass shops were of no help at all, although one said they had tried some similar clips from other cars with no success.  I taped everything back together with good quality duct tape (Polyken brand, although 3M is also good if you can find it) in a multi-layered criss-cross pattern & cut the tape off below the visible part of the glass.  The glass must be CLEAN or the tape won't stick.  Sounds ghetto, but the first time I did it, it lasted so long I forgot I had done it, several years for sure.  I re-did it last year when the tape finally gave up, so maybe I'll be able to forget it again.

Reply #13
Duct tape,a handy mans bestfriend!

Reply #14
I had the glass shop install aluminum clips to replace the plastic ones. They are not cheap--$25 US each--but they will permanently solve the problem in conjunction with a good adhesive. My overall charge, including door panel r/r and gluing the windows in place, was $75 and it took roughly 40 minutes. I didn't consider that to be an outrageous charge considering I should never have to do it again, and what's better is that my hands didn't even get dirty. Sometimes it's just worth paying.

I'd thought of another option....wondering if drilling holes in the bottom of the 1987-88 door glass, just like the 1983-86 glass, wouldn't be viable if a glass cutting place would do it cheap enough. That way you can run a bolt through and be done with it. I really liked that feature on the earlier cars because there was no adhesive to deal with, and r/r a window was a breeze. (I don't think you can use the earlier glass in the later cars).