Skip to main content
Topic: My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics) (Read 34191 times) previous topic - next topic

My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics)

Reply #45
Its been awhile sence you've posted. Has there been any progress? Any updates?

Well I guess it hasn't been too long.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #46
Still working on it, lol.  I have been working on swapping the TC brakes, springs and sway bar this last week.  I used the PRC struts too, but only because the ones I had in there were shot.  I will probably be done tomorrow if all goes well and will update with pics.

While I'm on the topic though I want to add that I really hate working with coil springs.  I always feel like they are going to break free at any moment and I keep getting the  hooks stuck in the coil and only after an hour or 2 of yelling, cussing, sweating and prying can I get it out.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #47
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;351017
While I'm on the topic though I want to add that I really hate working with coil springs.  I always feel like they are going to break free at any moment and I keep getting the  hooks stuck in the coil and only after an hour or 2 of yelling, cussing, sweating and prying can I get it out.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!  Been there, done that, while sick, too. Definitely was not the most enjoyable 2 weeks I've ever spent on that car.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #48
pretty cool man. Interesting to see all the TC stuff going on the Cougar.

I love how you snuck that one picture in up there on your first post. Now I know where you get your username from:rollin:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #49
Im not looking forward to changing springs. My car is leaning to the PS a little, so sone I'll be swaping some Mach or Koni springs.

PS installing the poly bushing were a .  springs!
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #50
Bruce, I'll say a little prayer for you when you are getting ready to do the springs ;) 

I finished up the brake swap last night.  It went pretty good.  It appears the Cougar has a bigger opening on the top spring pocket so the hooked part of the compressor just came right out the top on both sides as opposed the nightmare on getting it out of the TC.  The only thing I had to get was a 3/16 to 1/4 brake adapter and that was easy enough.  FYI it was Edelmann part number 258340 and cost me 4.99 at Checker auto.

I bolted the swaybar up after I took this picture.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #51
Dropped the tank to get my premium gas back, lol.  Yeah, I'm cheap.

Reply #52
Heh, I used an electric pump to pull about 1/2 the tank of Premium out of my bird back when the engine went south.  Figures I filled the tank the day it died!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #53
That's not cheap, that's smart!

Reply #54
I installed the TC 15:1 rack and hood.  That is all the TC has left to give so it is going away.

Reply #55
Got my SVO compressor housing for the turbo so now I can use the TC intercooler!

Reply #56
Cool! Coming along good. Should be a nice Cat when you are done.

Reply #57
This is going to be one sweet Cougar when finished.  Nice work so far.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #58
Thanks guys.

Did a little bit of work on the car today.  I pulled the steering column and dash out to put in the 5 speed pedals.  Luckily, all my wiring is attached to the firewall now so pulling the dash is pretty easy.  The 5 speed should be going in this weekend.  I haven't gotten a chance to put on the SVO compressor housing yet though, maybe this weekend too.

Reply #59
Woohoo, the car grew an extra pedal!