Skip to main content
Topic: Project Black Panther: 1988 3.8L Cougar LS (Read 108252 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Black Panther: 1988 3.8L Cougar LS

Reply #525
I pulled my steering comlumn. Made the pedal swap really easy. I also pulled the driver seat. I have a pedal assembly in the garage I'm about to sell asap for funds. I've been uber broke.I don't have a V-6, I have the 5.0, BUT, still love a 5 speed.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #526
Yeah I pulled the steering column before back when I had to remove the shifter shaft (say that 5 times fast) for the old column shift setup. Probably going to do that this time around as well. Too bad I didn't know about the pedals vinnie... I like to keep the funds in the community but I did by it from some guy called Cougarman...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #527
Grab parts wherever you can. I'll be selling some more soon here on the forum to pay for some other parts I bought some time ago. I hate being broke all the time.

Back on topic....Just get busy on the car, make it what you want it to be. I had to do a  ton of work on mine. New trans, rebuilt engine, new exhaust, etc....yes, it was all done with great parts and it's all very much upgraded, but, it's because all my other stuff was turning to . The car is finally where I want it to be. I'm pretty content. Right now I'm dialling in everything for dyno day in a week and a half.

I hope this year gets you a lot closer to your goal on the Cougar. One step at a time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #528
Needs more V8 ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #529
Quote from: thunderjet302;453540
Needs more V8 ;)

:p

Reply #530
Quote from: JeremyB;453551

:p

3.7 Cyclone would be cool. Or a 3.5 Ecoboost. 3.8 Esshag V6 not so much :p
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #531
The 3.8 can be needed up pretty easily, its just way more expensive. Even a sc swap would get you easily into the 13's. There is a ton of potential in a 3.8. Just not cheap.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #532
Quote from: thunderjet302;453554
3.7 Cyclone would be cool. Or a 3.5 Ecoboost. 3.8 Esshag V6 not so much :p

3.7 indeed. I have that motor in my F150 and it has blown me away at the power that a v6 can really make, which to put in perspective, at 302 HP is MORE than the previous gen 4.6 V8 made, and I get better gas mileage too!

Quote from: Haystack;453555
The 3.8 can be needed up pretty easily, its just way more expensive. Even a sc swap would get you easily into the 13's. There is a ton of potential in a 3.8. Just not cheap.

Absolutely. Not cheap for sure but then again is engine building EVER cheap?;) But there is a lot of hidden potential in that motor, it just requires boost to unlock it. It is a torque monster once you throw a decent turbo setup on it... I've seen an SC that put over 900hp/950ft-lbs to the wheels with the right turbo setup. Me? I'll be happy if I can get it around 350hp. That's more than enough for me. I'm not building a strip king here, just something to be  FUN on the street is all I need:D

Plus it's mostly unique. I mean if I wanted to do an HO build I might as well build a Mustang right!? :shakeass:

--------------------

In other news my "new" ECU came in yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to go this weekend and see if I can fire it up still... Probably not though due to the state of the battery; Does anyone know how long a battery can sit with a discharge before it becomes permanently useless?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #533
Quote from: sarjxxx;453558
3.7 indeed. I have that motor in my F150 and it has blown me away at the power that a v6 can really make, which to put in perspective, at 302 HP is MORE than the previous gen 4.6 V8 made, and I get better gas mileage too!

My wife's 2012 Mustang has the 3.7 Cyclone V6 and 3.31 rear axle (we ordered it that way). It scoots pretty good. It's only a couple of ticks behind the Thunderbird through the 1/4 mile....

A 3.7 Cyclone or 3.5 Ecoboost out of a wrecked F-150 would be crazy fun in a Fox Thunderbird/Cougar. Almost as fun as a 5.0 Coyote swap :shakeass: