Skip to main content
Topic: The Album That Changed You (Read 2672 times) previous topic - next topic

The Album That Changed You

As the long-form LP format slowly dies, those of us that have been around for awhile (and may even remember AOR format on the radio) have fond memories of the album as a whole, rather than a bunch of singles put together.

So...what album(s) changed you? Good or bad. Any decade. Any genre.
Remember: ALBUM, as in "the entire thing", not just for the singles. Concept albums welcome.

Reply #1
Not sure what you mean by album concept, but Led Zeppelin "Zoso" is my favorite album.  By Album concept to you mean similar to Pink Floyd's The Wall?  Sorry I'm not a huge music geek...

EDIT:  googled it and figured out what you mean, lol.

I'm gonna have to go with something from my generation and go with Green Day "American Idiot".  I thought it rocked pretty hard when it came out and would leave it in the CD player on replay for days on end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
No worries!  What is your favorite one, Eric?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
Pink Floyd's "The Wall" showed me the joys of vegging/mellowing out for an hour or so
Judas Priest's "Defenders of the Faith" introduced me to heavy metal and saved me from a lifetime of listening to pop rock.
Judas Priest's "Sin After Sin", the first real store-bought album I ever owned, showed me how good music could sound really loud and allowed me to disect the music in my mind while listening to it, hearing all of the nuances that are not audible on the ol' "Tape recorder held in front of the radio speaker" method all of my other music was obtained by back then...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Boston was the first album i ever bought, along with Steve Martin's "wild and crazy guy" back in 77. I was 9 or 10. 
As for complete concept albums there are a few amazing journeys i have had.  Anything by YES for sure, and some stand outs by others include Avalon by Roxy Music, one of the most romantic albums ever made.  Voices by Vangelis of "chariots of fire" fame, and a amazing instrumental album by Billy Currie of Ultravox with Steve Howe of Yes called Transportation.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #6
Two of the albums I have that I really took a liking to are Nazareth-Hair of the Dog and Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon.

Reply #7
AC/DC's Live, and a few months later, Def Leppard's Hysteria. I kid you not, I've literally worn out 7 copies of Hysteria....cds alone, won't get into how many tapes I've ruined form playing nonstop.

After that it was Godsmack, Disturbed, Stained, and probably the two poison albums between '88 and 91. Any GnR album, except for that hunk of shiznit Chinese Dumbshagcracy, and of course Pink Floyd's The Wall and Wish You Were Here.

I like the Celtic style of music, and certain songs have an affect on me. I'm also known to break out in song and poetry when i get deep into a bottle of liquor...which has been a thing of the past since around early 07. I always wanted to sing for a blues/hard rock band, but hate being in a large group of people. I do have one more album that means a lot to me...Black Label Society..Shot to Hell. Those cold nights when I swa putting the HO and T5 into the Sport, I'd play that disc on loop for hours...sometimes I'd just sit and think of all the bad shiznit in my past and realize that basically cars and music were what kept me from deciding to overdose on pills and liquor in 2005 when I lost my brother. I got past all that and now all this energy, and I've been writing again. This time without all the negativity and doom and darkness. Sometimes I go back to those old '80's and '90s tunes and just for a little while, I relive when I was 17, 18, 19 and was still immortal.....I think what I've learned most of all is to be lighthearted about life, we don't get outta here alive. So have fun. The music just brings it to the surface in a non-destructive way. BTW, I got clean and sober all on my own...I just needed to find the right time for it. Thankfully I lived long enough. There were at least 3 or 4 times where I should've been taken to an ER and treated for alcohol poisoning. It's not bragging, it's a public "thank you" to whatever is out there that I made it. And a big part of that is owed to the music i love, and that's why I wrote this little chapter of my past so that maybe someone who was messed up like me over the deaths of 9 friends and family in 2 and half years can use it as something to make 'em see that life IS worth living. It's never too late to put on another cd and hear a kickass tune...word.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
i would have to say gnr appeptite for descruction it was the tape of it was in the tbird when i bought it which i thought was awesome.

Reply #9
One of the first albums I heard, my uncles listening with the big headphones..... REO speedwagon HI INFIDELITY.  I bought it when I got a record player and have had it on every media since.

I still enjoy it anytime I listen to it.
Mike

Reply #10
Quote from: mcb82gt
One of the first albums I heard, my uncles listening with the big headphones..... REO speedwagon HI INFIDELITY. I bought it when I got a record player and have had it on every media since.

I still enjoy it anytime I listen to it.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

You, sir, have excellent taste. :)
(I bought that new on 8-track for $7.58 at K-Mart!)

Reply #11
Sgt Pepper, and the White album as a young lad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #12
Quote from: daminc;394088
Sgt Pepper, and the White album as a young lad.

Revolution #9 still creeps me out..... lol

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #13
The Cult's "Sonic Temple" is the first album that had an impact. After that, anything by the Doors, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd..........................................
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #14
I have a lot of albums that are excellent, start to finish...

Ozzy (Blizzard of Ozz), Journey (Escape), Alice in Chains (Facelift), Dokken (Tooth and Nail), The Fixx (Reach the Beach), Ministry (Psalm 69, Rio Grande Blood), Nine Inch Nails (The Downward Spiral), Pink Floyd (The Wall), The Outfield (Play Deep), Pearl Jam (Ten), Power Station (s/t), Queensryche (Operation: Mindcrime), Radiohead (OK Computer), Rammstein (Sehnsucht), Stone Temple Pilots (Core, Purple), Tool (Aenima), Twisted Sister (Love is for Suckers), Van Halen (Fair Warning)...

I can't do just one.
My top 10, in no particular order:

Blue Murder (self-titled) - My. God. An incredible sonic album from start to end, from the perfect power trio (John Sykes/Whitesnake, Tony Franklin, Carmine Appice/Vanilla Fudge, King Kobra). Wore out several of these tapes back in the day. It is big, it is loud, it is technical, it is pitch-perfect, it is catchy...it is unforgettable. Oh yeah, fretless bass FTW!

King Kobra - Thrill of a Lifetime - I remember Kerrang! magazine giving this album five K's in 1986. THAT was an accomplishment amidst all the metal back then. I. Love. This. Album. Wore out this tape as well. I cannot think of a better album to crank up while driving a convertible down the highway. It's too bad the singer had a shag change operation...LOL. (That's true, BTW)

The Police - Synchronicity - Aside from the obvious Jungian psychological references, this may be the most perfect album of the 1980s. Still holds up fresh today. What a monster of an album back in the day though...wow. Fitting as the swan song for the band. From a compositional point of view this album gets a slight edge over the others here.

Duran Duran - Rio - It was perfect. It is perfect. It will remain perfect. Nobody really figured these guys to be real musicians but this album is still relevant today. Definitely transcends the decades.

Waysted - Save Your Prayers - More rock than metal, but still one of the catchiest albums ever. Another summer party album. Lots of good memories from this one. It took me several years to find a CD copy of this album, and fortunately it was reissued in the last few years.

KISS - Creatures of the Night - All killer, no filler! The tightest, loudest, most underrated yet most balanced KISS album ever. Also the last one before unmasking in 1983. It will beg you to play it over and over...and LOUD (I love it...). Just remember to adjust your EQ because the bass recording is subpar. The remastered version didn't help much either.

Rob Dickinson - Fresh Wine for the Horses - Interesting story. Rob fronted the underrated 1990s alt band Catherine Wheel and is a cousin of Bruce Dickinson, the singer for Iron Maiden (both medieval torture devices--I just love that correlation!). Anyway, Rob has one incredible voice and a talent for writing gorgeously composed songs. It's his only album so far, but hopefully he'll have time in the future to work on new material. He's kind of busy now, restoring and remanufacturing older Porsches. Ever hear of Singer? Well...you'll spend all day here: http://singervehicledesign.com/
Musician, cousin of rock royalty, car guy. I want to be this guy in my next life.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell - Enough said! An absolute sledgehammer of an album. Saw them live twice...good times. The be all, end all of metal.

pr0ng - Beg To Differ - Why was pr0ng not more popular? They influenced so many bands. This one is everything a major debut should be: raw, unapologetic, killer hooks, and succinct. It is a serrated knife.

White Zombie - Astro Creep: 2000 - Rob Zombie might be a few fries short of a Happy Meal, but this album had a odd kind of flow that defies description. It also shows a lot of restraint, where it could have gotten bogged down easily. If Slayer's South of Heaven is the soundtrack to hell, I think AC:2000 should, at the very least, be the soundtrack to purgatory. ;)