Skip to main content
Topic: Putting Money Where My Mouth Is (Read 2806 times) previous topic - next topic

Putting Money Where My Mouth Is

Over the past couple of years there have been a few, sporadic cases of NOS steering wheels for our cars popping up on eBay. In my experience, steering wheels are typically one of the costliest restorations you can do on a car--any car, not just ours (it's just not typical for ours). So to find one NOS, in your color, correct for your car...that's just plain uncommon these days, and it saves the hassle of trying to restore yours.

Naturally, a few of people have made comments about the money involved buying a NOS steering wheel. I retorted--consistently--that $200-300 US is actually a good price for one.

Well...I followed my own advice recently:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1984-1985-1986-Ford-Thunderbird-Steering-Wheel-/120764816932

Now the proud owner of a 1984 A-frame wheel in Academy Blue, leather wrapped, with cruise control. Still has the clear plastic on the wheel. And I bought the correct NOS center section for it a few years ago. Total for both: $260 US.

That's the price you can expect to pay if you're going to restore. I've yet to find wheels that sell for under $200, but anything is possible.

I guess if you spend $300 for an entire car, and then see the price of NOS steering wheels, that's quite the sticker shock. LOL

But for those restoring, I think you'll agree that I paid a fair price.

Just wanted to share, that's all.

Reply #1
Looks great! If ya gotta have it, ya gotta have it, lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
Nice find.  I would be afraid to use it, lol.  Its so hard to find original parts for these things!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
The stock wheel is actually pretty awesome for 107K miles. No scratches or peeling in the leather, and only the color has rubbed off in the usual locations. Otherwise it could pass for a very nice restoration wheel. I just bought this one because, for once, it met all my needs and was priced right.

Eventually, when this car is restored, I will be able to pull all of the restoration parts from boxes or packages and apply them.

You guys have NO idea what I've acspoogeulated... ;)

Reply #4
Good find Eric and reasonably priced for what I've seen out there.

Reply #5
I would be afrid to drive with a NOS wheel for fear of wearing it.

Mine is in really good shape though. The leather is intact, just a bit of wear, and it doesn't leak goo.

Props for the NOS part. Now just keep the plastic wrap on it when you drive.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
I would be happy with a really nice Mustang GT wheel with cruise.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
I cut the remnants of disintegrated leather from my A frame wheel and found a steering wheel underneath. :hick:

Nice score Eric, btw. I would be hard pressed to use it if I had it.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #8
Sad thing is, all but one cougar/bird I have bought is under $500. The price of thunderbird has grown quite a bit, but the cougars have stayed the same.

Its time to buy the car you want to keep, or pay a lot.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #9
Nice!!!

It does reminds me why I chose black as the interior color for my TC, of course mine will never be restored, at least not by me...

Reply #10
Quote from: vinnietbird;367500
I would be happy with a really nice Mustang GT wheel with cruise.

I walked right by a 2.3 Mustang coupe that had one that looked new. I swore Id go back with a puller and snag it. Forgot, and I havent seen another one in decent shape since then.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack;367530
Sad thing is, all but one cougar/bird I have bought is under $500. The price of thunderbird has grown quite a bit, but the cougars have stayed the same.

Its time to buy the car you want to keep, or pay a lot.

I think it is because cougars arent well known... Just about everyone Ive talked to about my cougar locally didnt have any idea what I was talking about... Fox body cougar? 5.0? it came like that? Guess when people think hotrod, they think mustang or Tbird, and the cougar stays shadowed in the tall grass.

Reply #12
HOLY JESUS, didn't realize steering wheels were that high.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #13
Well, to be fair...I did pay $500 for the car. So the steering wheel was 2/5 of the initial purchase price. ;)

Reply #14
Quote from: EricCoolCats;367491
You guys have NO idea what I've acspoogeulated... ;)

I have an idea or two :)